October 27, 2019

Jesus is enough


Feeling helpless is a good thing. It keeps me from falling into the trap of thinking I must do this or that or I will not be acceptable to God. When I put that thought in writing, it seems so silly, yet it creeps in, sometimes subtle to the point that I don’t realize I’ve slid into the notion that I must establish or add to my righteousness. I know everything good is a gift from God in Christ Jesus. There is nothing I can do to save myself or make myself a better Christian by my own efforts.

At this, some will say that “He does it all” does not negate obedience, or that doing the will of God builds character and brings us to maturity. I know that, but I also know the difference between me making the effort, and me obeying God in the power and direction of the Holy Spirit.

This section of Scripture affirms that Christ set me apart for God by offering Himself as a sacrifice for my sin. I need nothing more. What He has done is enough and needs nothing added to it:

When he said above, “You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings” (these are offered according to the law), then he added, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first in order to establish the second. And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified. (Hebrews 10:8–14)

Today, my head is still filled with junk and sinus pain continues. However, thinking about Jesus and all that He has done for me makes this episode of life nothing. There is joy in my heart and I’m glad for grace that saved me, keeps me and will finish the task and take me home.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, You are sufficient. No matter the issue or the problem, You are there and You are enough.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- the challenge to go all out for Jesus, even if others think this is crazy.
- a church prayer summit that was a deep blessing to each of us who participated.
- Christian friends who understand my heart without much explanation; this is God’s Spirit who binds us together.
- being able to sleep for several hours this afternoon.
- being able to pray for the people on my heart.
- courage to tell those who complain to look for the positives; God offers millions of them.
- hope for tomorrow.

No comments: