July 16, 2019

Living by the Spirit


Today ends the readings in Galatians. It also marks for me a much deeper recognition of the power of the old nature. My sinful self can take even legitimate desires like the hunger for food, the desire to do well, and a dozen other things and try to fulfill them in ways that God does not sanction.

I’ve been reading Atomic Habits and it uses ordinary life to show how easily I have formed bad habits. While I don’t agree with the ways he suggests how to change those (he knows nothing about confession of sin and relying on Jesus), I can certainly see things that need to be changed. Some of them are not too vital but one or two involved fleshy responses to personal needs. They don’t work. They also deny God.

I’m convicted as I read again about the false teachers in Galatia who were luring the church away from trusting God. They wanted to keep one Law of God and were convinced that this made them better than others who didn’t do the same as they did. All their efforts were sinful and from the flesh . . .

It is those who want to make a good showing in the flesh who would force you to be circumcised, and only in order that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ. For even those who are circumcised do not themselves keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may boast in your flesh. But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. And as for all who walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. (Galatians 6:12–16)

I tried reading this passage by substituting things that Christians can get hung up on. Some are silly, at least to me, like “Men must wear a suit and tie to church” or “Women must wear a hat to church.” I’ve known church-goers who insist on such ‘rules’ and try to convince others to conform. This is folly and fleshy.

As for my fleshy ways, most are rooted in deeper issues. If I read them into this passage, I can see the black and white that before has been gray. The black is stop relying on the flesh to fill the gaps in my life. The white is putting all my trust in Jesus who has promised to meet all my needs . . . and if He doesn’t, to trust Him anyway! The gray is not realizing that I was in a fog.

The author of the Bible study book I am reading says this: “When applied, the Gospel gives the individual freedom from bondage to sin, victory over the flesh (the old nature within), and the ability to show forth works of righteousness. All this is set within the framework of the work of the Holy Spirit in the believer’s life.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You know my heart. I recently prayed the request in Psalm 139: Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me and lead me in the way everlasting!” (Psalm 139:23–24) and You have again answered that prayer. I know the only way to stop living according to the flesh in any part of my life is to confess the sin, trusting You to forgive me and cleanse me from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). And You add: “If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit” (Galatians 5:25).

Today’s thankful list . . .
Another day of sunshine and clear blue sky.
Another long walk in a lovely day.
My hairdresser.
Kids making mac and cheese amid lots of noise.
Chocolate bars.
Leftover Asian food.
Talented artists.
The ability to make design changes out of mistakes.



No comments: