July 26, 2019

What does God want for His people?


Not every preacher uses the Bible as the source of his or her messages. Not every ‘Christian doctrine’ is based on what God’s Word says. All sorts of false teaching happens ‘in the name of Christ’ and is bought up by thousands because it appeals to sinful human nature.

For instance, ‘name it and claim it’ says we only need to tell God to give us what any/every verse promises. This means if I have ‘enough faith’ I never need to be sick, poor or suffering. While God does bless and heal, His ways are not our ways . . .

Christians suffer. God says we will and we do, not because we have sin in our lives even though the consequences for foolish choices can be a reason for anguish. Sometimes we suffer because people do not like our message and take pot shots. Sometimes we suffer because we live in a sin-sick world.
God could remove all pain and sorrow — isn’t that what heaven is all about? Instead, He might instead use it for our good, showing the glory of His power. Who else but God can turn tragedy into something good?

These thoughts come from this passage in Romans:

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. (Romans 5:1–5, emphasis mine)

The first thought, justified by faith, has ran through my devotions for a few weeks. The second thought, peace with God, is just as incredible. Look at Hubble pictures. Look at the details in a forest, in the ocean. Look at a new-born baby. Think of the God who has spoken all things into existence. Think of His power and immensity. He knows how many hairs are on my head, on everyone’s head. He knows our thoughts. He knows what we will say before we say it. At His word, the seas roar and mountains split in two. It is this God who gives peace with Him through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

I cannot wrap my head around it, but I can and do know that peace. It is greater than any gift, than wealth, health or comfort. It overcomes suffering — I can be in great pain and still calm inside because of this incredible peace. The world can be (and is) falling apart all around me, but because of God, I can rejoice in the hope of His glory, the manifestation of His power to eventually make sense of the mess and use it for His purposes.

The passage says I can rejoice in my sufferings. Why? Because God shows how that peace and joy produce an ability to endure all that the false teachers want to erase and replace. They offer rejoicing in the stuff of heaven without realizing that this rejoicing amid pain is in many ways a greater glory.

My friend just had cancer surgery. My hubby is constantly having malignant patches removed from his body. Another friend has been diagnosed with something only smokers get but she has never had a puff on a cigarette. Our circle suffers. The local and national news is filled with suffering. Where is the rejoicing? It is in the heart of those who have Jesus in their heart!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I asked You to give me words that I needed to hear today. I expected scolding for bad thoughts, or for a recent failure (already confessed) and You give me this, “Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice!” What grace and love from the God who gives peace, as You say, not as the world gives, but a peace that is deeper than my understanding and beyond all expectations.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Great peace with God, and the peace of God.
Walking in the sunshine.
Homemade buns.
Freedom to take a long nap when I’m tired.
Joy that overrides sorrow.
My hubby who makes that king bed with the impossibly heavy mattress.


No comments: