July 9, 2019

That dangerous first step . . .


A slippery slope describes what happens when I step somewhere I should not and cannot stop the consequences. The scariest example didn’t involve me, but my hubby. We were in Innsbruck and decided to go up the ski lift to see where many Olympic skiers did their thing. The slope was without trees and a long way from the bottom. I remember thinking that I’d assumed cameras were tilted to get that insane angle when filming equally insane athletes, but it was not. And my hubby was standing right at the edge. No barricades. Lost balance would be certain death. It was indeed a slippery slope.

Most of the time this term is used for moral issues. For instance, an alcoholic is standing on a slippery slope if he decides to set foot in a bar or says yes to a drink. A spouse with a wandering eye will get into trouble unless learning to run rather than look too long.

While reading Galatians this morning I noticed a more comprehensive version of a slippery slope. Paul is writing to Christians about their decision to try and keep one point of God’s Law. He says:

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace. For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love. You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? This persuasion is not from him who calls you. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. (Galatians 5:1–9)

Circumcision was God’s mark for believers (obviously only the men). The Jews at that time considered it very important and when they put their faith in Christ, they wanted to do this also, just to make sure. However, Paul told them they were standing on a very slippery slope. If they wanted to be circumcised then they also would be obligated to keep the whole law!

Anyone who knows anything about keeping the Law of God realizes that it is not only a demand for perfection in holiness, doing it is impossible. Paul calls trying to do it bondage and no comparison to grace.

Grace says we are justified by faith that comes to us as a gift because of the love of God. No one can keep the law, but Jesus did. When I put my faith in Jesus Christ, God put my sin on Him and His righteousness on me. In that incredible and marvelous trade, I am saved and my sin is atoned for. God is satisfied by the blood of Christ as my payment for sin.

Therefore, if I try to add some sort of payment of my own to that transaction, I am standing on a slippery slope. If I want to obey the Law to earn even a token of my salvation, I need to keep all of it, every rule for life. What a foolish thing to attempt! I’ve already known for a long time that I cannot do it. To even think that I can makes mockery of the Word of God.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this is overwhelmingly true yet I’m not certain that I have applied it to all my little habits and ideas that I think are pleasing God, or in other words, if I don’t do them, I will displease Him and not made any effort to save me or keep me saved, as if I could. This is silly thinking. You did it. You did it all. Today, help me notice if there are any notions in my head that I MUST do this or that rather than totally trust in Your grace that saves me — totally!

Today’s thankful list . . .
Your marvelous and wonderful grace.
Forgiveness of sin at the cost of Your Son.
Freedom to live, to be me, yet not I but Christ who lives in me.
Guidance and grace to know and do Your will without the heaviness of MUST do it or ELSE.
Time to tidy up many details, those little chores that pile up.
Supper with friends.
Great conversation with a teen just out of high school.
A home that is easy to clean.


No comments: