July 14, 2019

Speaking the truth in love . . . not easy!


I’m just finished Isaiah and now reading Jeremiah, two OT books that have fascinated me. God sent these two prophets to tell His people that their lives were a disgrace and that He was going to deal harshly with them unless they turned away from their sin. Tough assignment. Not only must they face a stubborn nation bent on idolatry, they must keep their own lives clean, otherwise God could not use them.

Thinking of my own life, I find it easy to see the need for change in God’s people today, and easy to be critical of Christians who are sinning in some way, but the challenge is in doing the right thing about it. Jesus offered this as the way to do it if the sin was personal:

If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. (Matthew 18:15–17)

This is a challenge. Most of us would rather talk to other people about the people who have offended us, not go to them in an obedient and loving confrontation. The goal is restoration, not getting even, but the goal in telling everyone easily slides into making myself look better than the other person. This is a form of retaliation. Instead, Jesus wants this relationship made right so that everyone is humbled and built up, not full of spite and anger.

Paul wrote about it too. The main problem in the church at Galatia was false teaching about the way of salvation. There may have been some who didn’t fall for it and remained true to the gospel of salvation by grace through faith. To these he wrote:

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load. (Galatians 6:1–5)

Spirituality is behaving like a prophet yet bringing the gentleness of Christ into the equation. It isn’t about a smug confrontation that looks down on those caught in sin. Instead, it is the attitude that I could be the guilty one so I need to realize we are all together in this battle against sin. None of us are superior.

Paul recommends that I test or examine what I am doing. If I am being obedient to Jesus, then I have no reason to lord it over the person who has been caught in sin. After all it is only because of the grace of God and the Holy Spirit that I’m able to live a godly life. Without Him, I would be in as bad or worse condition. I cannot think of myself as better than others because I am not.

This is clearly an application for today. Watch my own heart whenever I observe another Christian who isn’t watching their own heart. I cannot help them if I allow myself to be judge and jury or feel any sort of superiority toward that person.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I know that I’ve a tendency toward spiritual pride, toward thinking I am something more than I am. Today, “search me, O God, and know my heart. Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23–24)

Today’s thankful list . . .
That I know the God who searches hearts and forgives sin.
That Your Spirit is willing to help me with tough assignments.
A good sermon on trusting God in the tough times.
Being at local botanical gardens in fresh air, sunshine and incredible scenes.
Having an exotic butterfly sit on my finger for several minutes.
The ability to order healthy Vietnamese food for supper.
Naps in my easy chair.
Raspberry sorbet.

No comments: