July 5, 2019

Being who I am . . .


Most parents are dismayed if they see their children put on different personas, depending on who they are with. We tell them to “be yourself” forgetting what peer pressure is like and how we all struggle with our identity from time to time. It can happen to adults too. I remember a couple of teens telling me that when their father answered the phone, they could tell who was calling just by the way he talked.

Peer pressure happens to Christians too. One pastor retired and became an insurance salesman. I remember him saying that people talked to him differently than when he was a pastor. He was shocked; the difference was extreme.

Back in the early church, a group that called themselves Christian were pressuring others to be circumcised. This was a mark of faith for the Jews and this group became insistent. They influenced Peter to the point that he changed his behavior when they were around. He had no problem fellowshipping with Gentile believers, but if one of that group was around, he would not do it. Paul rebuked him . . .

But when Cephas (Peter) came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. For before certain men came from James, he was eating with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. And the rest of the Jews acted hypocritically along with him, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that their conduct was not in step with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, “If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you force the Gentiles to live like Jews?” (Galatians 2:11–14)

My first thought is the courage of Paul, a relatively new Christian, to confront and correct one of the original twelve disciples. This reveals how important the Gospel was and still is. Better to risk a rift than to compromise the truth. Yet this did not cause a rift. Paul went on . . .

But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor. For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose. (Galatians 2:17–21)

He makes sense and speaks logically in his rebuke. He humbles himself to admit that he was crucified with Christ and now lives only because of Christ and faith in Him, the One who gave His life for Him. His righteousness is not his own but a gift from God.

The stronger thought for me today is to behave according to who I am in Christ. If I live according to the flesh, I am not only sinning against God, but confusing people. The flesh is a prideful monster that will put forward my best foot and hide my shortcomings and weaknesses. If I say I am saved by faith and crucified with Christ as Paul did, then behaving otherwise brands me as a hypocrite.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, we are driving south for a funeral, seeing cousins that I’ve not seen for a while. This is an important time to be transparent and walk by faith, as is every other time! Fill me with Your Spirit and grant grace and wisdom to represent You well. Help me to say and do what will most honor You and bless these family members as we say goodbye to one of us.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Safety on the road; we are halfway there.
A nice visit with my sister who is unable to travel with us.
Talking to both my brothers this morning.
Good conversation on the drive with my hubby.
Not raining too much.
Chocolate eclairs!



1 comment:

Darrell said...

Hey, I love the eclairs!