July 12, 2019

How to pray for false teachers . . .


Mary, a Christian and a friend, used to call every now and then. She never said hello or identified herself but began the conversation with a Bible question. It was usually something like, “Where in the Bible does it say . . .?” and if I could answer her, she usually had nothing else to say, maybe a short thanks, and she hung up. I used to tease that I was her ‘concordance.’

Paul began his letter to the church at Galatia like Mary. He had no friendly introduction, only a very short greeting. Then he jumped right into the issue at hand.

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6–9)

This group of Christians were not just troubled by false teaching and false teachers; they were starting to listen to them. Paul refutes their false teaching later, but right at the beginning, he condemns and calls down a curse on those who are spreading a perverted ‘gospel’ that is not ‘good news’ but an invitation to bondage.

My thoughts turn to the cult that one of my relatives belongs to. He was not a Christian lured away by their false teaching that is contrary to the gospel of Christ. Instead, he went in without any idea of what he was getting into or what he was missing. Now he is convinced that this cult has the only right ideas about salvation. It is a system of works, but he doesn’t see it that way.

How should I pray for him? Or for the others blinded by this cult? I have been praying that God will open their eyes and hearts so they can see the truth and be saved. Yet if I do what Paul did, should I be calling down a curse on them?

My training tells me to consider the context. Paul was saying “let him be accursed” about false teachers who were luring Christians, the people of God. How dare they trouble those whom God has already claimed for Himself and given new life in Christ!

This diverted my attention for a little while and I began to justify my prayers. Then God reminded me that this cult does go door to door and preaches their ‘different gospel’ to those who are saved. However, when they find out the person claims to know Jesus, they put an X on their maps for that house and seldom return. In my experience, the only time they come to my house is right after we move. After they hear my testimony, they do not come back. I was told they consider those who are Christians to be ‘satanic’ and must be avoided.

Anyway, these verses from Galatians are going to affect my prayers this morning. I’m going to ask God, who knows the hearts of false teachers, to do what is just in their lives according to His will. It says in Jude:

For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ . . . but you . . . keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on those who doubt; save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh. (Jude 4; 21–23)

God hates false teaching yet in grace and mercy, tells His people to save some, snatching them out of the fire, showing mercy with fear. In other words, don’t listen to their lies but give them the Gospel in mercy. They don’t deserve grace, but no one does. Only God knows who will respond to His grace.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You remind me of this quote: “If in doubt whether to judge or to show mercy, it is always better to choose mercy.” I’m not to change the way I pray for these cult members, but I must realize how dangerous is their situation. Some of them have chosen to defy the truth. Others just don’t know any better. A few are wanting to get out but do not know how or are afraid of being shunned by almost everyone they know. Grant me the ability to listen to Your Spirit as I pray.

Today’s thankful list . . .
The ability to sleep well and long.
Sunshine after a long spell of rain and clouds.
A long walk in the wilderness park near our home.
Tylenol extra-strength when needed.
Homemade bread.
Chicken soup.
No calls from telemarketers today.

No comments: