July 22, 2019

No Regrets


Yesterday’s sermon gave me a strong reminder to watch out for making excuses that started out with “If only . . . .” such as, “If this had not happened, then I would . . . usually be a better or do better things.” Regret must be one of the saddest words regarding the things left out of life, or mistakes made, or even events out of my control.

The message was clear: do not use those regrets as an excuse for not moving forward, doing better, living as I should right now. I’m getting a lot of that these days. A TV show featured a clip about a man born with no limbs. By the grace of God, he praised Jesus Christ for his fulfilled hope to be coach for a football team. He was discouraged at times but kept on pushing toward his goals.

This morning’s devotional reminds me again about living with no regrets . . .

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.” (Romans 1:16–17)

What does Paul mean that he is not ashamed? My Bible dictionary says it is to feel shame for something, adding that this term can include guilt, embarrassment or remorse. The rest of Paul’s explanation gives his reasons for not being ashamed; he focuses on the power of God and how faith is revealed and lived out in the lives of those who believe Him. Why would anyone ever feel shame about that?

I’m thinking proud people have this problem. Believing the Gospel means also being convinced of my utter sinfulness. I’m guilty, embarrassed and remorseful over my sin yet pride tries to make me feel otherwise and make excuses for it, such as those that start with “If only . . . .”

Instead of excuses or trying to find reasons why I’m not the godly person I’d like to project, I should boast that I live by faith, that I have the righteousness of Jesus Christ that comes through faith. Even though I have sinned, God has forgiven me and continues to work in me His redeeming grace. He gives peace over those regrets. He gives humility instead of guilt or shame, embarrassment or remorse.

Humility is not about focusing on the dumb, foolish, sinful stuff; it is not focusing on me but thinking about the Lord Jesus Christ and relying on His grace. He gave me Himself so I can focus on others, pray and care for them and meet their needs. Paul called himself the “chief of sinners” yet his focus was first on Jesus and then on the people God brought into his life.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord, You also remind me that my slides into regret and shame are just another way to put ME in the center. If I cannot find any good stuff, focusing on the junk keeps me from humility and being unselfish. This battle between Spirit and flesh rages on. Thank You for the grace to recognize it and the promise that You will win all wars. Fill me with Your Spirit that I might praise Your goodness all day long.

Today’s thankful list . . .
The power of the God shown in salvation’s amazing plan.
Grace to believe Him.
Faith to live in His will.
The energy to finish a long to-do list.
A lovely summer day.
A handful of Roma tomatoes off our one tomato plant.
Grilled cheese sandwiches.
Fresh baked bread.
Clean clothes.


No comments: