July 2, 2019

Learning God’s way . . .


Educators speak of learning styles. They say people learn by seeing, hearing or doing, or a combination of those three. However, there is a fourth. It might happen through a teacher, friend or preacher, but it can happen without any other person involved. It happened to the Apostle Paul . . .

For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man’s gospel. For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. (Galatians 1:11–12)

When a team of cult members came to my door, they asked who taught me, meaning which church or which faith tradition told me what I was supposed to believe. I told them the truth, that one day I was reading a book that was about reincarnation (and false), yet it had a verse of Scripture in it. As soon as I read the verse, God made me aware of His presence and revealed to me that Jesus Christ is God in the flesh. No one taught me; God revealed it to me.

The cult members at my door turned up their noses and left. They may have thought I was mentally unbalanced! However, if I was, so was Paul. I never became the person he was but I do identify with him in one way — I also received the Gospel through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

After knowing the Lord for many years, I can say that all I have learned about Him and about myself is by revelation. Sometimes I hear Him speak through others, or through nature, or some secondary messenger, but without a doubt in my mind, I know His voice. Knowledge of Jesus comes from Jesus.

God reveals His Son for a purpose — first to save and second to change sinners into servants. My salvation didn’t take me the same way as Paul’s did, nor do many Christians have the same clear path put before them, yet all of His followers are led by God in the way He wants us to go. That path includes a learning curve, sometimes of many years. For Paul, the timeframe is not clear, but it was a while before he started his well-known ministry, not immediately after that first revelation. He tells how God . . .

“ . . . was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone; nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and remained with him fifteen days. But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord’s brother. (In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!) Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia. And I was still unknown in person to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. They only were hearing it said, ‘He who used to persecute us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy.’ And they glorified God because of me. Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. I went up because of a revelation and set before them (though privately before those who seemed influential) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure I was not running or had not run in vain.” (Galatians 1:16-2:2)

In only a few verses, Paul describes how he was in training for many years. All that happened to him was credited to revelations from the Lord and eventually verified through the other disciples.

Reading this today stresses to me the importance of paying attention. I must not set my own path and pattern just as I must not interpret the Gospel in any other way than it has been revealed to me. I can check revelation against the Word of God — not every idea is from Him — but can depend on the Holy Spirit and that gentle whisper from God to guide me. Most of the time I can also rely on godly people for assurance.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord, it seems that this day will be one of those days; no specific direction or challenge, just pay attention. I know that when I am shopping, I often hear You say, “It’s time to go home” or in a library and hear You say, “Borrow that book.” That first revelation was life changing yet every time I hear You and do what You say, I am blessed and changed. Thank You!

Today’s thankful list . . .
The still, small voice of God.
Grocery stores and the ability to purchase good food.
Friends.
My sister.
The ability to fall asleep whenever I need to.
Soup and crackers.

No comments: