July 15, 2019

Big picture shows two options . . .


I’m thankful for the professors at Knox Seminary who exemplified great ability to look at Scripture in a comprehensive, big-picture manner. I’m a detail person; all my profs could see and explain the wholeness and unity of the Bible, much to my delight.

This morning I read the following passage in Jeremiah:
Thus says the Lord: “Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart turns away from the Lord. He is like a shrub in the desert and shall not see any good come. He shall dwell in the parched places of the wilderness, in an uninhabited salt land. Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit.” (Jeremiah 17:5–8)
This is an excellent word picture of what happens to those who do not trust the Lord contrasted with those who do. Then I turned to Galatians and read this description that says the same thing without the imagery:
Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. (Galatians 6:7–10)
Curious, I looked at this in The Message, a contemporary translation that is more like a commentary, but must smile at what the translator did with it:
Don’t be misled: No one makes a fool of God. What a person plants, he will harvest. The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others — ignoring God! — harvests a crop of weeds. All he’ll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God’s Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life. So let’s not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don’t give up or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith. (Galatians 6:7–10)
Again, word imagery. In reading all three versions, it isn’t hard to get what God is saying. If I live my life relying on my own strength, I’ll have nothing to show for it at the end of life or for eternity. If I trust the Lord, and serve Him, my life will be fruitful. All three passages imply that serving God will involve challenges (heat, drought, fatigue, discouragement) yet pressing on will bring reward.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this applies to this day and every day of my life. I’ve two choices: listen to and obey God OR do my own thing which often involves an easier route. Listening is probably the greatest challenge. Even though I know Your voice, hearing You means taking time to shut out all the other noises and stop letting the feeling of being rushed and in a hurry drive me to tasks that eventually make me feel as if I have been spinning my wheels. Slow down and wait on You. Be willing to do that which seems more difficult or even unnecessary — but I know You are in it. My to-do list for today is long. I’m craving discernment and self-control to hear Your take on those list items everything on that comes up besides, and to do the good that You ask of me rather than whatever my old nature thinks is better.

Today’s thankful list . . .
A wonderful day!
To-do list is not only finished but time leftover.
Another charity quilt finished.
Appointments made that I’ve been stalling.
Sunshine and fresh air.
Canada geese (even if they are messy).
Tomatoes off the vine.
Online recipes when I can’t find one in my books.


No comments: