July 4, 2019

Godliness tops degrees . . .


One church we attended was looking for a youth pastor. An applicant had one year of Bible school but no degree. My hubby was part of the leadership and impressed with this young man. He was without credentials but had a unique attitude. It took a bit of convincing, but eventually the others agreed and hired him. He turned out to be a great leader. Now, many years later, he is pastor of a thriving church.

Something similar happened to Paul when he first became part of the church. He was sharing the Gospel when false teachers tried to turn him to their beliefs. He was also being examined by the apostles and other leaders. Both groups realized that God’s grace was on him:

Yet because of false brothers secretly brought in—who slipped in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might bring us into slavery— to them we did not yield in submission even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved for you. And from those who seemed to be influential (what they were makes no difference to me; God shows no partiality)—those, I say, who seemed influential added nothing to me. On the contrary, when they saw that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the gospel to the circumcised (for he who worked through Peter for his apostolic ministry to the circumcised worked also through me for mine to the Gentiles), and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do. (Galatians 2:4–10)

Paul was put into a position of leadership because his leadership qualities were obvious. In those days, the deciding factors did not include an MDiv or PhD. He did not need x-years of experience or letters of recommendation. Those who were ‘influential’ saw God at work and that was good enough for them.

I’ve served on search committees and know how easy it is to be side-tracked by those things that we humanly admire, not that a good education and some experience are not important, but if the grace of God is not in that person, all the letters after their name or years of service have no value. These cannot make up for a humble heart, willing to serve in any capacity, and an attitude like that of Jesus Christ.

For me, this is an application of attitude. I’ve a degree in religious studies and a master’s degree in theology. So what? If I am not living by faith through grace, those pieces of paper are meaningless. Not only that, another person who is filled with the Spirit and obedient to God has more impact in this world than anyone who relies on their papers and experience instead of the Holy Spirit.

The people of God recognize godliness and a servant heart. No one should be impressed by human achievement apart from what is given by the Spirit’s power. God shows no partiality. He is not impressed by anything we achieve apart from grace. Grace is His gift, not my doing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, forgive me for any high-mindedness I’ve had about my so-called credentials. Without You, I am nothing and can do nothing. Thank You for being my Savior and Lord, my source of strength and all that I need to be able to do all that You want me to do.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Mercy and grace for salvation and living the Christian life.
Deep and intimate time of prayer with others today.
Assurance that You hear and answer.
My cousin’s very ill hubby mercifully departed from this earth quickly and without pain.
Little things like egg salad sandwiches and cool drinking water.

No comments: