July 17, 2019

A Bucket List?


For a long time I’ve thought that making a bucket list was silly. (This is a list of things a person wants to do before they die based on the euphemism ‘kick the bucket.’) However, it could be a God-thing — Paul had one, maybe not written down, but he had a strong desire for at least one accomplishment.
But now, since I no longer have any room for work in these regions, and since I have longed for many years to come to you, I hope to see you in passing as I go to Spain, and to be helped on my journey there by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a while. At present, however, I am going to Jerusalem bringing aid to the saints. (Romans 15:23–25)
He wanted to go to Rome. This desire lasted for many years. Not only that, Paul was advanced in years when he expressed it and specific about why he wanted to do it. He wanted to experience their help and enjoy their company. Not only that, he hoped to help them in their spiritual lives, so much so that he expressed it more than once:
For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you— that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith, both yours and mine. (Romans 1:11–12)
I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you as well as among the rest of the Gentiles. I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish. So I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome. (Romans 1:13–15)
Yesterday was a turning point for me. I was hung up on a personal issue, an I-want that had gone on for years. God showed me the reason for it and His answer to it, setting me free from it. Today, strangely but gladly, I’m thinking about the future in a bucket list kind of way. Instead of that old I-want, it could be the Holy Spirit nudging me to think about other things to put on my list.

One thing to remember: Paul wanted to go to Rome, committed that to the Lord, and wound up going there but as a prisoner. If I commit my desires to the Lord, they may be fulfilled but not in the ways I imagine!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’ve always been thinking most about ‘right now’ and not the future. As for planning or wanting to do things, I’m not into stuff like ‘ride an elephant’ or ‘go to Australia’ or even ‘make 500 quilts’ but I feel a desire to think about the next years and what You want from me. This might not be a list of activities but changes in the way I think and act. One helpful hint could be the words of Paul: “I have longed for many years.” Now that I am free from the desire that was holding me back, will You remind me of any other longings that have been there for a long time? Maybe I have ignored them? If this ‘bucket list’ notion is from You, help me with it. If not, take it away.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Another beautiful day.
Another long prayer walk.
Salmon sandwiches.
Google music.
Friendly neighbors.
Safe delivery of a glass table.
Dinner with friends.



No comments: