July 24, 2019

“It cannot be done . . . .”


About the time I was born, the world thought that no one would ever run a four-minute mile. Up until then, the record set in 1864 had been broken two dozen times, but it was still longer than four minutes. Finally, in 1954, Roger Bannister did it. After him, eleven runners did it too, but faster. The latest I know about is 3:43.13 set by a man named Hicham El Guerrouj.

It is the nature of many who hear “It cannot be done” to try and do it. Is that what drives some to attempt to live perfectly and thus earn eternal life? Probably not. Most people think it can be done! This is not what God says.

It is only when the Holy Spirit speaks otherwise that the human heart must admit that sinlessness is truly an impossible task. Even admitting it is difficult without the Spirit’s help and a great deal of humility. Jesus illustrated this with a parable “given to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt”:

“Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 18:9–14)

Romans, the great New Testament book that explains man’s condition and God’s redemption, says the same thing:

But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, (Romans 3:21–24)

Salvation is a gift. It always has been and always will be because, unlike those who continue to challenge the record for running a mile, no one can improve their performance enough to hit the target. There is only one record-holder — the perfection modeled in the life of Jesus Christ — and no one can touch it or even come close because even just one sin would put them out of the running.

Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. You know that he (Jesus) appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. (1 John 3:4–5)

Jesus did the will of God perfectly. He is the sinless one, the record-holder. The rest of us fall short. Yet marvel of marvels, when our faith is in Him and He lives in us, the “righteousness of God is manifested apart from the Law” and believers are “justified by His grace as a gift” — not by our own efforts but “through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’ve known this truth for many years yet it never fails to lighten my load and put joy in my heart. My tendency, like everyone else, is trying to do good by myself, but I fall short. I need You for every effort, every task, every challenge and all goodness required for each day. Without You I am nothing and can do nothing, certainly not run this race of life with excellence. Again, I thank You for giving Your life so I can live and giving me Yourself so I have what I need to live by faith through Your amazing grace.

Today’s thankful list . . .
For Jesus, of salvation, redemption, justification and all Your blessings.
A nice walk on a cooler day.
Wonderful neighbors.
Olive oil and my spice rack.
Finally figuring out this new smart phone enough to use it.
My friend Pat who keeps in touch after all these years, about 60 or so.
More rain, and as my mother would say, we must need it or we wouldn’t be getting it.

No comments: