June 30, 2024

I’m not the center of my world…


After writing yesterday’s devotional thoughts about glorifying God instead of ME, my emotions went from joy to sadness, but at first the reason was not apparent. Later, it became obvious that I really would like to glorify me. The train image of facts < faith < feelings came to mind and I thought about the facts of what Jesus has done, then realized this was just ME trying to bring back the joy. I could hear the Lord asking — was having His joy more important than having Him? The day seemed long and I went to bed thinking if this was what He wanted for me, then I had to accept it. But did I want to? Not much.

This morning’s reading puts forward another thought that I must agree with. It begins with this word from Jesus:
And in his teaching he said, “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes and like greetings in the marketplaces and have the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at feasts, who devour widows’ houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.” (Mark 12:38–40)
The devotional writer points out how some people think they are humble and lowly in heart when they say bitter and disparaging things about themselves. This is not true. Most do not realize that the giant ME is as much exalted and puffed up by self-blame as by self-praise. I agree. That old nature is so greedy for attention that if it cannot be praised, it would rather be criticized than not noticed at all.

This means thinking bad things about myself is almost as good as thinking good of myself because saying, “I am so bad” gets ME thinking that I am humble. I’ve known this truth, even taught others how the flesh will take negative attention as well as positive just as long as the attention is on ME. Both extremes are sinful and hold a definition of humility that is not biblical.

Yesterday, my thoughts about glorifying the Lord were biblically correct, but that was not humility for I found myself thinking it was good of me to take that stand. As the devotional writer says, “what can be more delicious to self-love than to hear itself applauded for seeming to be humble?”

So I’m not really what I should be. The truly meek and lowly heart does not want to talk about ME at all, either for good or evil. The power of Christ is there and to be glorified from the heart, not mere lip service because it is the right thing to do. No wonder the Holy Spirit let me experience His grief at my correct but insincere words. He says:
For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. (Romans 12:3)
C. S. Lewis adds that true humility does not think highly or lowly of self, but does not think about self at all. My focus for the family reunion needs to be on those who attend, not on what I need to do to make this a great event, etc. I also need to remember Jesus in the garden saying, “Not my will but thine be done.” And remember what Paul wrote about the Lord’s humility:
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (Philippians 2:3–8)
PRAY: Jesus, You live in me and the only way I can get my mind off ME is to think with Your mind and not my old nature. Apart from You, I can do nothing (true) but in You, all things are possible. Have Your way in my heart, no matter how impossible it might seem.

 

No comments: