June 18, 2024

Knowing Jesus

  


At the end of a sermon with a gospel invitation, the speaker often says something about introducing a seeker to Jesus. While I know that Jesus welcomes those who seek Him, is this really how it works? Can I say to someone words that open his heart and mind to know the Savior? It seems to me that is not possible. If a person wants to know God, then isn’t God the one who introduces or opens their hearts to know Him?

Today’s devotional says knowing God is essential. Jesus did say that without this knowledge, we cannot have eternal life…
And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. (John 17:3)
However, a few verses later He also says…
“I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. (John 17:6–8)
He gives the words and the seeker receives and believes them, yet it is God who both reveals and gives what is needed, including the words needed and the faith (that comes by hearing, Romans 10:17) to believe, and all we need to have that life and godliness. I can tell others this good news but it is God who makes Himself known.
His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, (2 Peter 1:3)
When I encounter someone that I’ve never met, I can ignore them, or I can make myself known to them in conversation. They are able to do the same. Revelation of self to someone else is not up to the someone else, or even to the person doing the introductions. That person can tell the other some things about me, but knowing information is not the same as really knowing.

Today’s reading say we get to know Jesus by studying His life and pondering His words, but I could do that with anyone who has a biography or talks about their thoughts and ideas, yet that is not the knowledge Jesus refers to that pertains to eternal life. It is far more intimate. 1 Corinthians says that He gives us even His mind. No person we meet can do that.

I’ve been married fifty-three years and do not have my husband’s mind. As much as I talk and reveal my thoughts, he does not have my mind either. But we do have the mind of Christ and that gives us a communication level, even a knowledge level, that rises above reading and studying. The only thing we can do to deepen our knowing is… “And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments” (1 John 2:3) yet even this depends on His desire to reveal Himself and obedience is the evidence rather than the means that I do know Him.

 For Christians, knowing Christ is a legitimate boast. The OT prophet declares:
Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” (Jeremiah 9:23–24)
And the NT writers also knew the wealth and wonder of knowing Jesus:
Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ. (Philippians 3:8)
PRAY: Jesus, knowing You is the delight of my life. Do I boast about it and about Your love, justice, and righteousness? I should — far more often than I do. Knowing You is the most important thing in my life just as You are the most important person ever to walk this planet. I’m so thankful that You revealed yourself to me and continue to keep showing me more about You. You are a wonderful Savior!


No comments: