June 14, 2024

Trials have an amazing purpose

 
After eight hours of sound sleep, I woke up tired. A small thing compared to the many troubles in this world. We all face sorrow in life, wonder if God has forgotten us and why the world is in such a mess, even just our own portion of it. Reading today offers the fact that we live in a fallen world that is ruined by sin. Sometimes it is our own sin, but the reading says “more often than not it is one of those things” and many are affected by it.

Yet we have a sovereign God who promises to use all things for good in the lives of those who love Him (Romans 8:28). That does not say all good things, but all things. He even says:
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2–4)
My mother said it too. Her version: “We must need it or we would not be getting it.” She set me up to accept trouble rather than fight them or pray to make them go away. This has not been automatic though. It takes time to realize that even though trials come, God still reigns. He is able to use even the greatest trials as He transforms the lives of His people:
Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. (Romans 5:1–5)
And sometimes He does deliver us. When I am thankful and obedient in trials (another difficult lesson) He keeps this promise:
Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High, and call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.” (Psalm 50:14–15)
As I think of troubles in the world, how would I learn the love and power of God if everything was perfect? I call myself God’s spoiled brat as it is! He wants me to be like Jesus, so He allows me to experience whatever will help me “know how to be brought low, and know how to abound.” In any and every circumstance, I must learn the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need so that I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:12–13) Otherwise, I’d be a wimpy brat as well as one spoiled.

PRAY: God, You always offer comfort in the midst of trouble. You do not always rescue me but You do provide grace and strength in it. You also assure me that at the end, all will be made right. In the meantime, You use trials as discipline, or to give me a deeper revelation of Yourself, and to transform me into the image of Your Son. I know that You always do what is right, even if I cannot see it. Whatever comes my way, I can be sure of this: “The eternal God is my dwelling place, and underneath are Your everlasting arms…” (Deuteronomy 33:27) for I have learned that in whatever situation I am to be content because I can do all things through Jesus who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11–13). Thank You!


No comments: