June 16, 2024

Motivated by what God has done…


Why is it that so many preachers or devotional writers focus on telling their listeners or readers what to do rather than glorifying Jesus for what He has done? It is the love of Jesus that motives godly responses. I’m rarely charged up by another sinner shaking their finger at me.

My first reading today was all about my need to follow Jesus. So were other readings. One of them quoted this passage: “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friend … I have called you friends.” (John 15:13, 15), and then used it to tell me I need to lay down my life for Jesus. That is true, but that is not what these words say. When my heart and mind are filled with the wonder and glory of God, responding easily follows. What folly to put the cart before the horse so why make this cart pull the load instead of the Lord?

One reading says what I always need to hear. It begins with, "Oh, what a Savior He is. Words can never express His mighty power to save! I never felt so utterly weak in myself, but Jesus is strong, and He is mine, and He saves me now. Praise His Name!"

A few lines later, the writer says, “Every moment, Lord I need the cleansing of your blood. And every moment, Lord, I have the cleansing of your blood.” I do not mean here cleansing from the guilt of sin, but cleansing from the sin itself, that cleansing which makes me “pure in heart.”

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. (1 Peter 2:24)
For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. (Colossians 3:3)
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:2)
Each day I need the good news of the gospel. My sins distract me from the reality of sins forgiven and from the power of redemption. It is knowing what is possible in Christ that gives me even the desire for purity of heart that He calls for, as well as the purity itself…
And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure. (1 John 3:3)
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. (Matthew 5:8)
Another reading says this: “God always answers the general design and intention of His people’s prayers, in doing that which, all things considered, is most for His own glory and our spiritual and eternal welfare. As we never find that Jesus Christ rejected a single supplicant who came to Him for mercy, so we believe that no prayer made in His name will be in vain.”

Such words edify, build faith. Telling me my duty is helpful only if I have decided not to do it and live as I want. But for the Christian who wants to live for Christ, His words of encouragement and reminders of what He has done for me always give me hope and the motivation to live for Him.

PRAY: Thank You Jesus for calling me Your friend and laying down Your life for me. Greater love has no one than this. Because of what You have done for me, I want to live for You and for the glory of Your name.

 

No comments: