June 6, 2024

Basis for assurance…

 
We know a man who loves Jesus and loves people. He is continually saying that he must do something, that faith without works is dead. However he sometimes offends people by trying to ‘help’ them when they are not in need of help. The challenge in serving God is discerning His will over our good ideas. I’ve wanted to do many ‘good’ things but He did not take me down that road.

I read from five devotional books today, all on the same theme of doing the will of God. One pointed to realizing my station in life and where God puts me. From that, I know His will for my life is not to serve as a missionary in Timbuktu or a pastor in New York.

Another devotional says there is a difference between having Christ in my heart and being at one with Him, united in one will, one purpose, one interest, one life. This one says we are commanded to enter into oneness with Christ, to lay down our own lives that His life may be lived in us with no interests but His interests. This means sharing His riches, His joys, manifesting His likeness, having the same mind to think and feel and act and walk as He did.

This writer goes on to make this a matter of consenting to it, like a bride gives a willing yes to her groom. It sounds lovely, but this perfection, according to the Bible, is not ours until we see Him face-to-face in eternity (see 1 John 3:1-3).

The next devotional points out how we like a supply of goodness laid up, such as wisdom or patience and the other graces. He affirms that in God’s plan, all we need is laid up for us in Christ. We wrestle with our fleshy old nature and acknowledge our sinfulness but our life is in Christ He is our supply.

The next devotional writer says I’m not to expect to find myself any better or any nearer this ideal because I never will. I will always be utterly vile, and ignorant and corrupt. But Jesus is my life now. He is with me. The Bible says; “no more I” but Christ who lives in me. I have lost my own life and Christ’s divine life has been put in its place. My goodness is all in Christ and I must draw it from Him moment by moment as I need it.

Finally, the fifth writer says how to do this — “do not go into this dangerous world without prayer.” If I give up prayer, I will suffer for it since prayer is the way that I draw from Jesus this new life He gave me.

After all this, several Scriptures came to mind, all reminding me that Jesus is my Savior, I am not. I cannot grow or become like Him by choice. He does the work to perfect me, by grace. Cooperation is important, but willing it to happen is like waving a magic wand in the middle of the night and telling the sun to rise and shine. Each of these readings remind me of the power of God, but also the tendency of Christians to suppose that we can unite ourselves to Him and enjoy that oneness simply by choosing it.
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose. (Galatians 2:20–21)
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12–13)
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. (1 Corinthians 15:10)
PRAY: Jesus, if I could do it, I would be like You now, right now. I want to cooperate with You yet even that desire does not make me a spiritual giant. I am what I am and trust You to make of me what You want for me. Without You, this would be impossible.


No comments: