June 25, 2024

Whatever it takes…

 
Realizing that God is totally sovereign and that everything that happens to me is part of His plan for my life makes possible the reason and ability to give thanks in all things. That is, even the most disagreeable event of life is a bearer of blessing. If I look beyond the pain and discomfort, God is apt to reveal to me the good He has in mind in allowing it.
Your faithfulness endures to all generations; you have established the earth, and it stands fast. By your appointment they stand this day, for all things are your servants. (Psalm 119:90–91)
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16–18)
I’ve wondered about the will of God when I see so much evil in the world, and even more, when I see my own sinfulness. Yet I’ve missed many messages from Him because they were wrapped in ugly packages or delivered by unkind people. Most of the opposite idea involves teaching about God's goodness and that He desires my comfort. With that, I complained about the rough stuff and do not hear what God was saying to me.

Yet some years ago, and with other believers, we began praying for the salvation of unsaved loved ones using the phrase “whatever it takes” even as we realized this was a dangerous way to pray. We knew that God could bring disaster into their lives to alert them to their need for Jesus. Even so, it took me a long time to realize that I also may need disaster to expose my selfishness and to realize how little I depend on the Savior.

Today’s reading says “welcome every event of life as God’s servant bringing me something from Him, to overlook the disagreeableness of the messenger in the joy of the message, and to forget the hurt of the trial in the sweetness of the blessing it brings.”

The example is Paul. He wrote:
So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7–10)
I learned the same thing — that it is good to be weak and that is when God’s goodness shines brightest. What I’d missed is thinking about the thorn in the flesh. I saw it as a messenger from Satan to keep me from being strong in the Lord, but didn’t see it also as a messenger from God to tell me that I needed His sufficient grace rather than removal of the thorn or a cure for the discomfort or even rest from the agony it was producing in me. He allowed the thorn to be put there — remember, all things are His servants, even thorns. Even the evil one cannot do anything without His permission (read Job 1-2).

PRAY: Jesus, I cannot be thankful for my sinful failures but I can be thankful that You use even them to show me how much I need You and how much You love me and want me to live for You… whatever it takes.


No comments: