June 3, 2024

Unity in Christ means…

  
When two people are united in marriage, it is expected that they have strong affection for one another but also common interests. Many do. They both like similar foods, or sports, or television shows and so on. If it turns out that that they share nothing in common, the term “incompatible” is heard it a divorce court and they go their separate ways. Emotions alone were not enough to keep them together.

Even in a relationship with a friend, there is some sort of union in purposes and thoughts and desires. No matter how enthusiastic our expressions of love and emotions are, there can be no real oneness between us unless we have some likes and dislikes, purposes and ideals In common Today’s reading says that union with Christ is not a matter of emotions. Oneness with Christ means being made a partaker of His nature, His very mind and life. It also means that we agree on how to do things.
Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked. (1 John 2:4–6)
The reading adds that this is about my very character and how it lines up with His. Because of union with Jesus, sweetness, gentleness, meekness, patience, long-suffering, charity, and kindness should be natural and not strange, and not about how I feel but about who I am. Feelings are okay and His joy is a blessing, but if feelings are absent, the reality is still there.
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
For this reason, I need to be aware of thinking strong emotions of love and joy are proof that I am one with Christ. The proof is not about emotions but about what God says is true. As John wrote and as the rest of the NT agrees, if I say I am abiding in Him and united to Him, then I must walk as He walked and live as He lived.

PRAY: Jesus, I know that I do not walk perfectly as You, but when I stumble, my union with You remains. It depends on what is true according to Your redeeming power, not based on my feelings or my performance. This truth not only motivates me to grow but also gets me out of a lot of deep dark places. Thank You.


No comments: