June 20, 2024

The Word is all about the Word…


Over the years God has taught me that accurate Bible interpretation requires attention to these truths. One is that Jesus is the living Word — and this book is the written Word; it is all about Jesus.

The written Word, like Jesus, is from God and inerrant. What God says is more important than “what does this mean to me?” I need to seek what is intended by what they say. This means a careful study of the words, even the original languages, the genre, the grammar, and the historical context. I cannot read present day ideas and customs or my life into it. Context is vital. Pointing to one verse to build a theology is dangerous.

The intended meaning is usually literal yet figurative language is often used by God to explain concepts and even events in ways that our minds can grasp. When God says He covers us with His wings, that does not mean He is a bird, but all figurative language is not that obvious!

Also, any part of the Bible needs to be considered by the thoughts in the entire Bible. All will be in harmony. That is, even what seems contradictory will fall into harmony if properly understood. This and all interpretation means dropping my preconceptions and relying on the Holy Spirit to inform me.

Revelation is progressive. The OT writers did not have the benefit of NT revelation, yet the NT writers had the benefit of the OT. Also, some OT writers were given glimpses into the future, but they did not have all of the particulars, yet all had the benefit of the Holy Spirit.

The intended meaning is God/Christ centered and has significance for everyone, in all places and at all times. Some Christians toss out the OT without realize how it points to NT truths and events and certainly to Jesus.

All that said, I realize that many contemporary Christians use “this means to me” and even current word meanings and events to interpret what was written, ignoring the author’s intent and use of languages with varying word meanings that are not the same as ours.

This week’s devotional author seems to fiddle with current word meanings rather than using Scripture to explain his message. Also, some of what is said is unclear as to the intended audience. Is this speaking to believers or to those who do not know the Lord? If to believers, the message should affirm our relationship to God through faith in Christ rather than telling me to give my life to Him. I have already done that. My battle now is not against the wrath of God that sinners deserve, but against the old nature and the lies of the world and Satan to cause doubt and lead me into sin.

Today’s devotional says: “To yield to God means to belong to God, and to belong to God means to have all His infinite power and infinite love on our side” What does this say? I already belong to God; He saved me and made me His child. I’m not always yielded to God’s will, either in ignorance of it, or because I’ve been side-tracked by some selfish idea or Satan’s lies, but that does not negate that God is caring for me or that I miss out on His power and love. He always rescues me from sin because He is my Savior.

All this to say that one more rule of Bible study is figuring out who the verse is talking to. If it is to those without Christ, I still need to pay attention, but am affected differently because God has already revealed that truth to me now as a believer. For many passages, they remind me of what I already know and have in Christ, and are not about becoming a believer but instructions in how to live as a member of His forever family.

PRAY: Lord, grant discernment and careful interpretation when I read what You have inspired godly authors to write. Most of all, may I see You clearly before trying to see what it is You want from me. Seeing You shows me what needs to be changed in my life. You tell me that I too often search the Scriptures because I think I need advice for my life, yet those Scriptures bear witness about You, (John 5:39) just as You described after You rose from the dead: “And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, Jesus interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.” (Luke 24:27) Seeing you changes me, but a focus on me does not have the same result.



No comments: