June 22, 2024

Being Like Jesus?


 Being filled with God’s Spirit makes all the difference to how I feel about present duties, situations, and the people around me. Again, I consider His list:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22–23)
Compare that to Jesus. His love is demonstrated by the way He was with every task at hand right up to the end when He said, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” (Luke 22:42) He did not say that He was unwilling to do it, nor complain about how hard it was. His mind was on the will of God and his heart was more concerned about the will of God and the fate of sinners.
This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:12–13)
As for joy, Jesus was obviously a joyful person. He rejoiced to find lost sheep, to be with sinners, and to attend events like weddings. Also, He said, “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” (John 15:11) His prayers were also joyful:
In that same hour he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.” (Luke 10:21)
The gospels are filled with evidence of His patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. He could have been demanding, harsh, and treating sinful people as they deserved, but instead, He did not. He was faithful to His calling and like the psalmist, demonstrated these words: “I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.” (Psalm 40:8)

Self-interest is never mentioned. He did not dwell on or even reveal what He meant by “not my will” and that is a big motivation for me. While I need to recognize and confess sin whenever I ‘walk in the flesh’ and succumb to temptation, and even when I “rejoice in my weaknesses” — the goal is to glorify God and get back on track. Jesus didn’t sin even though He was tempted in every way like I am. He kept His mind on the will of His Father and revealed the way to conquer Satan’s efforts to sidetrack Him. He is the greatest example of self-control, not self being in charge but self not being an issue.

PRAY: Jesus, Your desire is that I be like You, and as I look at You and what You are like, that so easily is my desire too. I know that some people hated You for Your total goodness. Your life is a rebuke, an exposure of sin, yet sin is a burden You carried so that even those who put You to death could hear You say, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” Oh to be like You!


No comments: