June 7, 2024

Walking by Faith


It is amazing to me how many sermons, Christian books, and devotionals focus on “you must do this” instead of “Christ has done this” as if we are saved by faith and now we need to live by works. The NT is clear that I am to walk by faith, not by sight or by paying any attention to the flesh. While I might suppose my own ideas are okay, if they do not rely on the power of God, they are sin.
…. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin. (Romans 14:23)
Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. (Colossians 2:6–10)
Walking by faith implies all of life. Walking as I received Him is also by faith. Clearly since I was saved by faith, I must walk the same way. This means no self-motivated works. I must continually say no to my self-life by faith and put on the life of Christ practically as well as by faith. I must reckon my old nature is dead and rely on Christ to live and work in me instead. Taking this as it says, even the process of this happening is His doing, not mine. Otherwise, who gets the glory? If I say, “I am yielded to Christ” it could be bragging!

One of today’s readings echos this thought by saying Christ is enough for those who trust Him. “I’m a poor sinner and nothing at all — and Jesus Christ is my all in all.” This person had the idea that whatever was needed was stored in her heart, but her prayers for it were not answered. Instead, she had to look to Jesus for the supply at the moment that the need came — and it was hers.

Another thought came from the OT: “Where is God my Maker, who gives songs in the night?” (Job 35:10) This writer added that the strength of a vessel or a building can be demonstrated only by a hurricane. In the same way, the power of the Gospel can be fully shown only when I am subjected to some fiery trial. If God would make manifest the fact that “He gives songs in the night,” He must first make it night. (William Taylor)

It is the stresses of life that bring out what I rely on — is it my strength or His? The Lord says, “If you abide in Me you shall ask what you will, and it shall be done unto you.” The question is: Am I abiding? Am I taking time to abide? What is the greatest factor of power in my life? Is it work, service, sacrifice for others, or trying to work for God? However, the thing that ought to exert the greatest power in my life is the Atonement of the Lord. It is not the thing I spend the most time on that molds me. The greatest element is the thing that exerts most power. Certainly that is Jesus Christ who says whatever I ask, He will do, and He does it when “self” is weak and helpless, This is logically contradictory, even absurd, but a glorious truth.

PRAY: Jesus, sometimes walking by faith is odd or a challenge to logic, yet what a joyful and abundant way to live. Thank You for the incredible peace and love for others that go with it and make it part of the delight of walking by faith.


No comments: