June 29, 2024

Glory to God, not to me

 

Our family has a big event coming up in a few weeks. It began when God suggested to me through a distant relative’s eager desire that we should have a family reunion. I argued with Him. Knowing the work involved and my inability to organize such an event, I simply did not want to do it. However, He persisted, even waking me up several times very early in the morning with a to-do list of ideas. One of them was to enlist a few helpers.

The plans came together and invites were drafted and sent to everyone that had emails — which took some scrounging. Now, we have a venue near the farms where my parents and Dad’s siblings all grew up, a caterer, music volunteered by family members, and many other perks, plus nearly 100 who said they are coming. I am overwhelmed and excited, but also nervous about the doing of it.

I have imagined people thanking me for all my ‘hard work’ to make this happen and have even patted myself on the back a few times. But how dare I to forget this was God’s idea and the work of His Holy Spirit to guide me and remind me? Today’s reading is a warning again about making ME the center of my life. This Scripture speaks to my heart about the attitude God wants me to have, now, and at this big event, and always…
“When you are invited by someone to a wedding feast, do not sit down in a place of honor, lest someone more distinguished than you be invited by him, and he who invited you both will come and say to you, ‘Give your place to this person,’ and then you will begin with shame to take the lowest place. But when you are invited, go and sit in the lowest place, so that when your host comes he may say to you, ‘Friend, move up higher.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at table with you. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 14:8–11)
It is not a wedding feast yet I was invited to make it happen by the Lord who loves bringing families together. He cares that we see one another and enjoy time talking and sharing our lives. He planned this event and He gave much needed energy and ideas to bring it this far. God needs to be “moved up higher” and I need to take the lowest place and consider how to honor and bless others, as well as giving glory to God. The glory of such a gathering is not mine.

PRAY: Jesus, thank You for reminding me that all of what has happened, is happening, and will happen is because of You. Your hand is in the plan and the working out of that plan. I’ve been amazed at the ideas and help of others. One person even said if someone could not come because of financial needs, he would pay their way. This is a God-thing. Not all of this family knows and lives for You yet those who believe in You have pitched in with enthusiasm. I’m trusting You to bring us together with whatever purpose You have in mind. Certainly You will bless us in surprising ways as You already do, and it is my hope that some will realize Your grace and power and their lives will be transformed. Forgive me for letting the desires of ME to sneak into this. Keep my focus where it should be… loving them because of Your love, and blessing them because I’ve been blessed.





No comments: