December 7, 2019

Considering the toxic parts useless and dead . . .


In the first part of Revelation, the word “angel” could also be translated “messenger” for it refers to the pastors of the churches to whom seven letters were written from the Lord. This understanding is helpful when reading these letters.

The church in Sardis, a pagan and commercial city, received one of those letters. This time, the Lord has nothing good to say about the church except that there were only a few in it that were worthy in their lives and service to Him.

“And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: ‘The words of him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. “ ‘I know your works. You have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God. Remember, then, what you received and heard. Keep it, and repent. If you will not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come against you. Yet you have still a few names in Sardis, people who have not soiled their garments, and they will walk with me in white, for they are worthy. The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels.’” (Revelation 3:1–5)

This congregation had a good reputation yet Jesus knew them in a deeper way than their outward appearance. They were “dead” which interpreted in the sense often used in the Bible means that they were separated from God. Their lives and their reputation depended on their own abilities and not the power of the Holy Spirit.

The New Testament is filled with exhortation to walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh. The flesh can look good, even moral and upright, yet those who belong to Jesus have crucified flesh; it is not alive to God.

And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:24)

We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. (Romans 6:6)

Jude also mentions what it means to have “soiled garments” when he writes, “save others by snatching them out of the fire; to others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh.” (Jude 23) He is talking about sin. Sin can be blatant, but it can also be subtle. Both extremes happen in the lives of Christians. Ask me how I know!

For example, I could take a pie to a new neighbor because the Lord nudged me to reach out. Or I could take the pie to show off my pie-making ability. One is a work of the Lord, the other a work of the flesh, but on the outside, few people would discern the difference. Yet the Lord knows.

These verses remind me that I am accountable to God . . .

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:12–13)

He knows my intentions when I do things and when those intentions are pure or fleshy, works that please Him or dead works. I might fool others but cannot hide from Jesus. It is His blood alone that can purify my conscience “from dead works to serve the living God.” (Hebrews 9:14)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord God, the conflict between flesh and spirit is a daily reality yet seldom preached. Many of Your people seem unaware of it and of the ramifications of trying to be good Christians in their own strength, an impossible task. Keep me alert. Keep me in Your Word. You bring me again and again to passages like these and remind me that I must be filled with Your Spirit to walk in the Spirit and not fulfill the desires of the flesh. Keep me aware of what motives me, always remembering that my fleshy sin nature is dead and useless. There is no point in being a slave to sin and wearing garments soiled by the flesh; it is the mark of doom.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- God helps me recognize fleshy stuff.
- the Holy Spirit has the answer to it.
- when in the Spirit, I am not really aware because if I was, I’d start patting myself on the back and being back in the flesh!
- an enjoyable sewing day with ladies from our city’s quilt guild.
- French toast using Pane Roma and Brie cheese, a successful experiment!

No comments: