December 1, 2019

That final Reveal . . .


For a couple thousand years, the book of Revelation has confused, fascinated and caused all sorts of theories and ideas of what it means. The language is symbolic and those images are not easily discerned. I begin the end of my devotional book with a sense of anticipation and a tiny bit of dread. I’ve not put much time or effort to figure out this book. Reading it with a listening ear will be interesting to say the least.

My book says this apocalyptic writing has several characteristics. The word means “to reveal or uncover” so I expect some of that will happen. Apocalyptic writing was usually written in times of trouble so that should be evident. The message is conveyed in signs, symbols, dreams and visions. Some of those will be mystifying. It also promises the eventual triumph of good over evil. I long for that and this could be the biggest reason that this book begins with these words:

The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. (Revelation 1:1–3)

I am blessed to know that this will happen soon. That is not about soon in time time for 2000 years is not soon, but about the speed of the happening. That is, from beginning to end, what is described in this book will not take very long.

I am also blessed that this is an eye-witness account. John’s writings are powerful and have been favorites because of his obvious love for Jesus Christ and his emphasis on the Lord’s love for us. That he wrote this book just as God revealed it to him tells me that these are the words of one who knows that God. He knows God’s love as he shares in his other writings. The images and symbols seem horrid at times, but the revelation does not change the love of God for His people.

I’m blessed because God says He will bless those who read this book. He does not say the blessing is for those who figure it out or who know exactly what it means. It is a blessing for those who read it and those who hear at least some of what it means and obey what they hear.

All my Christian life, this is how I’ve read the Bible. My sister (her birthday is today) told me to read until God stopped me at a place I understood, then write what God was saying to me. Sometimes I’ve wished she put more emphasis on “obey what you hear” but reading like this has been rich and filled with personal conversations with God. He speaks. The word is “rhema” meaning “a word fitting the need of the moment” and to describe this as a blessing is almost an understatement.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So Jesus, I begin the last book that is called “The Revelation of Jesus Christ” and in it I expect You to reveal more of Yourself to me that I might be blessed and increase in obedience.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- experiencing God’s truth each day.
- knowing His presence with me each day.
- a wonderful day of hearing how He is answering prayer.
- sweet fellowship with new friends and old.
- a nice long nap in which hubby says I never moved at all.
- yummy supper and relaxation on this day of rest.

No comments: