December 5, 2019

Comforted and warned . . .


Revelation’s letters to seven churches applied to them, to other churches like them, to today’s churches with the same conditions, and to individuals who need to hear the words of Jesus. This includes me.

His letter to the church in Smyrna describes an event in my life. With tears, He informed me that I was going to experience a great trial. It began that very day and the vision of His tears sustained me for the lengthy time of that horrid trial. I can imagine how the church at Smyrna felt when they received a similar message also accompanied by the loving thoughts of the Lord:

“Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The one who conquers will not be hurt by the second death.” (Revelation 2:10–11)

As I have learned from that trial and others, suffering is not an evil intended to destroy. God has purpose in it and fulfills His promise to use all things for my good (Romans 8:28-29), the good being transformed into the image of His Son. Sometimes suffering is a discipline, or a way for God to prevent me from becoming proud or thinking too highly of myself. Sometimes it is a way to learn obedience. If I am like Jesus when under pressure, then my testimony of God’s power and love is far more believable than if I fold up in self-pity.

Most of all, through trials God teaches patience. He shows me that struggling, complaining, or any other response does not change the trial. Those responses only put my focus off Jesus and on myself, rob me of energy and make matters worse. Because of trials, I can now see that patience truly is a virtue.

The letter to the church in Pergamum is not as encouraging as the one sent to Smyrna. While Jesus commended for their faith under persecution, He also pointed out that they had a few false ideas that lead to sinful behavior. They needed to repent. Otherwise they would find themselves in trouble with Jesus rather than in trouble with false teachers:
“I know where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. Yet you hold fast my name, and you did not deny my faith even in the days of Antipas my faithful witness, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells. But I have a few things against you: you have some there who hold the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, so that they might eat food sacrificed to idols and practice sexual immorality. So also you have some who hold the teaching of the Nicolaitans. Therefore repent. If not, I will come to you soon and war against them with the sword of my mouth. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it.” (Revelation 2:13–17)
Compromise with worldly morality and pagan doctrine was prevalent in that church. It is also a danger today. In the name of tolerance, Christians are urged to put up with sinful practices. The danger of tolerance is eventually participating in that which we are supposed to merely tolerate.

The situation in Pergamum was severe. It is not that strong for me, but there are times when I should speak up but remain silent. The saying, “For evil to triumph, all that is required is for good people to do nothing” may be the problem. I tend to follow the idea that “If truth and lies are allowed to battle, truth will win” but sometimes forget that I hold the sword of truth. I cannot leave it unused when the arrows of the Liar are flying all over the place, and particularly when they are hitting targets within the Body of Christ.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You know the challenges of using that Sword in a hostile world. You died because You told the truth to a people who didn’t want to hear it. Eventually ‘Jesus wins’ yet the battle rages and You expect me to be part of it, to resist sin, to repent of any sin I am guilty of, to rebuke it in others and do what I can to restore those who fall to the enemy’s arrows. In these two letters, I see You both as a Comforter in the battles and difficulties of life and a Warrior who knows the real enemy and fights the Liar and His lies with all of Your heart and soul. You gave Your life to defeat that enemy and I want to be just like You.  

Today’s thankful list . . .
- being comforted by God’s Word.
- the Lord’s reminders to press on in truth.
- sweet prayer and sharing with other Christians.
- feeling physically stronger because of the weekly session at the gym and doing the homework.
- the beauty of winter.
- the love of family and friends.

No comments: