December 10, 2019

Above anything I can imagine . . .


In our modern technology, we can create scenes and images limited only by our imaginations. Some of those done for television and movies are so realistic that I often wonder if children can tell the difference. Do such creatures and places really exist?

When I read the scenes and images John saw in heaven, I’ve no doubt they existed. He did his best to describe them yet I cannot ‘see’ them in my imagination. Little wonder that the Bible says, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him.”(1 Corinthians 2:9)

When exiled on an island, John was given a revelation of Jesus Christ that astounded him and confuses us who read it. There is symbolism but also scenes and characters that are difficult to grasp. Here is what he has to say about the throne of God and how it boggles his mind:

At once I was in the Spirit, and behold, a throne stood in heaven, with one seated on the throne. And he who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian, and around the throne was a rainbow that had the appearance of an emerald. Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and seated on the thrones were twenty-four elders, clothed in white garments, with golden crowns on their heads. From the throne came flashes of lightning, and rumblings and peals of thunder, and before the throne were burning seven torches of fire, which are the seven spirits of God, and before the throne there was as it were a sea of glass, like crystal. And around the throne, on each side of the throne, are four living creatures, full of eyes in front and behind: (Revelation 4:2–6)

From this, the word ‘magnificence’ comes to mind. Jesus is magnificent and those who are seated with Him are without flaw, shining and glorious. John goes on . . .

Before the throne there was as it were a sea of glass, like crystal. And around the throne, on each side of the throne, are four living creatures, full of eyes in front and behind: the first living creature like a lion, the second living creature like an ox, the third living creature with the face of a man, and the fourth living creature like an eagle in flight. And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say, “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!” And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, who lives forever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.” (Revelation 4:6–11)

Jesus is presented in the gospels as a king/lion, ox/servant, man/one of us, and eagle/Lord over all, yet these four are not said to be Jesus even though they see everything. Some think they are angels, but whoever they represent, they worship the Lord God Almighty as do the twenty-four elders, also hard to identify.

The only certainty in this incredible vision is that everyone and everything present points to the throne of God and declares Him worthy of all worship and praise and honor. He created all things — no one created Him. This plainly says that I cannot make up God like a graphic artist makes up critters and moving pictures of things beyond human experience. John did not ‘imagine’ what he saw. If he had, he would explain what it all meant. He could not do that; he could only describe it to the best of his vocabulary.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, walking with You is sometimes like that. I cannot always understand what You are doing in my life never mind explain it to the satisfaction of my family and friends, and often not to myself. I just know that You are revealing Yourself to me and causing me to bow in worship before You. I know that You alone are worthy of all honor and praise. I’ve not had a vision like John’s vision, but like him, I know Your love and grace and I know I deserve none of the goodness You have shown me. You are utterly amazing.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- the magnificence of my Lord and Savior.
- His care for His people.
- one day I will see some of what John seen and understand.
- a great medical report: “normal or improved” in all areas!
- the smell of homemade bread.
- leftovers for those days I’m too tired or busy to be in the kitchen.


No comments: