December 4, 2019

A labor of love . . .


Jesus wrote letters to seven churches. John recorded their content. The first one was to the church at Ephesus. Some think this church was symbolic and others argue it was the actual congregation in that place. That seems to miss the point. He is giving direction to His people and since I am one of them, I’m to pay attention and consider it direction to me. Winning the argument over who are the recipients is not as important as listening to what Jesus says and obeying Him. He said He would build His church and these instructions are important to all who are part of the Body of Christ.

For that reason, I’m listening as I read His commendation and His warning to His people in Ephesus and letting Him apply those words to me too. He says:

“I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name’s sake, and you have not grown weary. But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.” (Revelation 2:2–4)

When I read this, I could hear the Holy Spirit affirming my hard work and that I withstand evil and false teaching and am patient with many things. I also hear Him warning me not to fall into living the Christian life motivated by routine or a sense of duty. It is about loving Jesus, not being and doing right for the sake of being and doing right. To this He adds:

“Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. Yet this you have: you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.” (Revelation 2:5–7)

He tells that church if they do not turn from form, duty, rote, living their lives to be right rather than living their lives because they love Him, He will move them from their place. This says to me that serving Jesus with the wrong motivation means I will lose any power I might have as a witness and a light for Him. I remember His words:

“ . . . . let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

 How easy it is to slide into letting my light shine so people will notice me. If I do that, then the only result is that I am noticed. Instead, I should love Jesus so much that if anyone notices or praises me for whatever He is doing in me, I will not only cringe in response, but gladly give Him the glory.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this ‘noise’ from the flesh is part of that old sin nature that does not love anything but itself. Your word declares this old nature is gone and the new has come. Keep my thoughts on that reality so I will continually live for You and Your glory, not for any other reason.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- a great hour at the gym.
- fresh snow that makes our world look like a Christmas card.
- hubby not only drove me to the gym but bought us a lovely lunch.
- my usual nap after gym; those one-legged sit-stands fatigue me every time.
- smell and privilege of fresh laundry.
- that being thankful helps me from complaining about stuff.

No comments: