December 6, 2019

Leave or stay in a declining church?


What does a faithful follower of Christ do if they realize their local church has become apostate? It no longer teaches or uses the Bible and sin is hardly mentioned but tolerated. Some of its members lure others into immoral practices and the leadership seems unconcerned.

It happens. We talked with a couple this week who attend a mainline church, not agreeing with its teachings yet seemingly unconcerned and without any indication they would go elsewhere. Another couple we know attend another church that has ‘gone off the rails’ but deliberate choose to stay there in hopes of being a godly influence.

Jesus’ letter to the church in Thyatira commends them briefly then condemns them for tolerating false teaching that is leading His servants into sin. Jesus is described as before with one change; He is called the Son of God rather than the Son of Man, reaffirming His deity and His righteous indignation at what was happening. This congregation had accepted the sexual immorality that accompanied pagan religion and were eating food sacrificed to idols, both practices that He abhorred.

But not all of them were doing this. He told them:

But to the rest of you in Thyatira, who do not hold this teaching, who have not learned what some call the deep things of Satan, to you I say, I do not lay on you any other burden. Only hold fast what you have until I come. The one who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron, as when earthen pots are broken in pieces, even as I myself have received authority from my Father. (Revelation 2:24–27)

In this case, Christ did not command them to leave it but to remain as a godly testimony. Judgment on the false teacher and her followers would come; He would purge the church. Is staying put in a dead church always the answer?

Usually faithful Christians in apostate local churches leave and go elsewhere. This happened in a large scale in the Middle Ages when Protestantism separated from Roman Catholicism and attempted a return to purity in doctrine and life. It seems to me that God has no ‘rule’ about this, just that Christians pay attention and do what He tells them. I’ve known people who moved to another church because they wanted a youth group for their teen children, not because the church had fallen into error. Motivation and paying attention to the Holy Spirit are the norm. God wants me to be faithful to Him, regardless of what others are doing.

In that regard, Christ promises faithful believers that they will join Him in His rule. Revelation 20:4–6 indicates this is during a certain time period yet the interpretation of that passage may not be literal. To me, the more important part of God’s command to Thyatira is to be faithful, to not allow ‘the deep things of Satan’ to have any hold on me. If my church took a dive, I’d need to let the deep things of God tell me what to do.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I hope this never happens to me, but I know it does happen. Our world is increasingly drifting and even running away from You and letting the enemy direct their thinking and actions. Being faithful sounds nice yet I know it is often challenging and can be costly. Thank You for Your promises to keep me on track!

Today’s thankful list . . .
- the Lord’s instructions can be found, either by principle or clearly spelled out.
- He also speaks to my heart so that I know what He wants from me.
- a good day even though I’m not caught up on all I hoped to accomplish.
- tickets to the ballet tonight.
- no fresh snow but still looks like a Christmas card outside.
- our Panini maker that turns ordinary into gourmet.

No comments: