December 20, 2019

Praising God in the darkest times . . .


The many facets of God are impossible to describe. For centuries, all attempts fall short. We cannot grasp how a God who proves His love by sending His Son to die for us is also a God of wrath who punishes those who reject His love.

It helps me a tiny bit to imagine patiently caring for someone who spurns me at every turn throughout life, who is angry at everything I do, who curses and mocks me until their dying breath. As a human being, would I send that person into a blessed eternity? Or would that person get what they gave — rejection and separation from me and from any goodness I could have shown them?

Another helpful clue is remembering what true goodness is. Many people tend to think that humans are basically good. However we do not measure the same God measures. He determines my ‘goodness’ by what I think and do about Him and toward Him. He is my Creator (I did not evolve from a monkey) and has every right to ask me to live up to His expectations. He created me to trust Him, love Him and think with a sound mind. I failed. Without the grace and mercy shown in sending Jesus to take His wrath for my sinful selfishness, I would be in the crowd described in Revelation as unrepentant and wicked.

Today sections I am reading are so awful, yet if I could see humanity and the hearts of sinners as clearly as I see my own waywardness and propensity to resist God, I would have to admit that wrath is deserved and His judgment is just. Reading all of this seems so terrible, yet even in the vast horrors of it, God reveals those who are victorious and come out on His good side.

And I saw what appeared to be a sea of glass mingled with fire—and also those who had conquered the beast and its image and the number of its name, standing beside the sea of glass with harps of God in their hands. And they sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, “Great and amazing are your deeds, O Lord God the Almighty! Just and true are your ways, O King of the nations! Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify your name? For you alone are holy. All nations will come and worship you, for your righteous acts have been revealed.” (Revelation 15:2–4)

During this outpouring of wrath, some will resist all pressure to join the powers of evil. They suffered because of it, but that suffering and a martyr’s death is nothing because they remained true to God and triumphed. Their destiny was not eternal separation but eternal blessing in the presence of the Lord and in the company of all who say YES to Jesus Christ. He calls them conquerors.

This is the practical application for me today. I am under attack constantly. As I pray, which is what God gives me to do, the enemy wants me discouraged, upset with slow answers, distracted, anything to stop my dedication to the Lord who hears and answers prayer. The battle is real. At times I just want Jesus to take me home so it will be over. Life is good in many ways but the weakness and spiritual toll in this warfare is no fun at all.

Yet these verses tell me that in doing right and remaining true to God despite the cost, I am a winner and I will triumph. For that reason, I can join in singing their song!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, great and amazing are Your deeds, O Lord God the Almighty! Just and true are your ways, O King of the nations! Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy. All nations will come and worship You, for Your righteous acts have been revealed. Keep my focus on the assured victory and not on the pain of this present fight.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- an encouraging call from a son who loves you.
- a good workout on my treadmill.
- the joy of giving to others.
- homemade chowder and brie on bread.
- dark chocolate — one bite cures my chocolate cravings.
- assurance again that even in the last days, God will save many!


No comments: