December 19, 2019

Eternal destinies . . .


The idea of eternal punishment is unpopular with liberal scholars and difficult to accept. However, it is clearly taught in the Bible. Jesus and the Apostle John say more about this subject than all the rest of the Bible. In devotional reading, and in reading Revelation, I am looking for what Jesus says to me. How is this Scripture about eternal damnation practical for my life?

Then I saw another angel flying directly overhead, with an eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people. And he said with a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come, and worship him who made heaven and earth, the sea and the springs of water.” Another angel, a second, followed, saying, “Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great, she who made all nations drink the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality.” And another angel, a third, followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink the wine of God’s wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.” Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus. And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Blessed indeed,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!” (Revelation 14:6–13)

First, the message from God is eternal and for all people. No one can say, “This does not apply to me.” Each person on earth is accountable to “fear God and give Him glory” and to worship Him. He created us; we did not create Him. This is good for me to remember also. In any situation, the one who creates is more knowledgeable and has authority over his creation. There is no wisdom in resisting the plan of God for my life!

Second, the source of temptation and sin has fallen. Yes, like a chicken that has been beheaded, the devil and his demons flop around as if they are alive and well, but Jesus had defeated all enemies, typified here by Babylon. I am free from their power and do not have to give in to their demands on my life and loyalty.

Third, there is wrath for those who do not heed the will of God on their lives. Just as there is eternal blessing for those who do, there must also be an eternal consequence for all who ignore and refuse the Lord. If I cringe at that thought, then I do not realize the holiness of God, the seriousness of sin, or God’s legitimate right to do what He wills with those He created. Christianity is mocked for believing that a God who loves us could send us to eternal torment. Again, this reveals a total lack of understanding of God, of sin, even of love.

As for those who follow Christ, we are not perfect in ourselves, but blessed in Jesus Christ and because of His mercy, our sins are forgiven. These are the sins that would otherwise keep us from the presence of God because He is holy and we are not, but in love He sent Jesus to die in our place, to suffer wrath on sin in our place. That is love, not tolerating sin and blessing us despite ourselves and forgiving us based on His own willingness to be our substitute.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dear Jesus, this message from God is also my message, not from me but given to me by You to tell others. It is an eternal message for all time, for everyone without prejudice. The telling of it ought to be the practical application of this passage every day of my life, every time You give me an opportunity, in season and out of season. Just as the message says, I am to fear You and give You glory, worshiping You with all my heart.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- God loves me and takes care of me, not because I’m worthy but because Jesus is.
- the Lord hears and answers prayer.
- knowing my prayers are important partly because of Satan’s attacks to try and stop me from praying.
- safety driving in crazy traffic in this Christmas pre-season.
- special prayer partners who bless me so much.


No comments: