December 17, 2019

God can use a ‘scattered’ mind . . .


Our Bible study group discussed the amazing gift of eyesight. One man wondered if our eyes are created to see certain things and not others, just as the eyes of animals, birds, insects, etc. see what they need to see. Because of devotions in Revelation, I agreed. John saw things that we cannot normally see. He saw the future and was given a glimpse of spiritual realities that are usually invisible to our eyes.

For instance, he saw Satan and his cohorts cast out of heaven and thrown to the earth. He saw this Liar and Destroyer pursue Israel and try to destroy them. He saw God’s protection as He rescued them and then saw the battle between the devil  and God’s people, a battle that is ongoing and furious. He could see what we know happened then and later, but our eyes cannot see this spiritual war. We just know the reality of it.

Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death. Therefore, rejoice, O heavens and you who dwell in them! But woe to you, O earth and sea, for the devil has come down to you in great wrath, because he knows that his time is short!” And when the dragon saw that he had been thrown down to the earth, he pursued the woman who had given birth to the male child. But the woman was given the two wings of the great eagle so that she might fly from the serpent into the wilderness, to the place where she is to be nourished for a time, and times, and half a time. The serpent poured water like a river out of his mouth after the woman, to sweep her away with a flood. But the earth came to the help of the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed the river that the dragon had poured from his mouth. Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea. (Revelation 12:7–17)

This enemy accuses me and does other nasty things, usually to keep me from praying. One devotional book says that all these battles “are given by the Master for the explicit purpose of enabling you to win your crown.” This book also challenges me that his efforts are not about ideal situations or far-away emergencies, but the conditions of life today. That is, my crown lies embedded in the hardships and trials that pressure me right now — namely keeping my focus and not allowing distractions to sidetrack me from the work of praying, a work that God has affirmed many times.

Satan tries accusation but I know that Jesus has totally forgiven everything. If the enemy says I am unworthy to pray, that only drives me to pray in the name of Jesus. Satan is more successful with distraction. Today I am encouraged by a devotional writer who says my crown lies there. If I am faithful to pray anyway, God can use my easily distracted thoughts to pull me, to draw my mind to His will and give me the issues and words needed for praying accordingly. God uses the very issue that Satan uses, not to stop me from praying but give me thoughts that He wants me to discuss with Him. Today I realize that my ‘problem’ is God’s design for me!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I know that Satan opposes everything You do and Your will for my life. I shouldn’t be shocked or annoyed at the trials of life that threaten the work You have given me. I need to always be prepared and even rejoice. As I’ve been told, these battles reveal I am “a threat to Satan’s system and an asset to Christ’s Kingdom” — and that is totally amazing.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- an especially intimate time of prayer today.
- a good whack at my to-do list.
- a long and needed nap.
- the herb Aero garden that is producing more than we can use!
- the smell of fresh bread.

2 comments:

Darrell said...

Have been enjoying your writing in Revelation. When did you switch and what is the name of the devotional? Been quite crazy here. My wife's younger brother passed in November, but, he was saved! We just returned from his service, held at his church in MA this past weekend. Prayers please. Thanks, Darrell.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hello, sorry, I don't check for comments as often as I should. These are busy days.
I didn't switch devotional guides. It is the same as marked on the left side of the page. I pick one in January to use all year and don't change unless it turns out to be a dud. For Revelation, I'm reading a few other writings but generally get my thoughts from the Scriptures and the whispers of the Holy Spirit.
Sorry to hear of your loss... glad it is heaven's gain.