December 27, 2019

Two judgments: one for Christians and one for . . .


The older I get, the more I want to ‘finish well’ — meaning that I’d like to have the assurance that I did all that God wanted me to do. Yet God reminds me to avoid that focus. As Paul wrote:

For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God. (1 Corinthians 4:4–5)

He is referring to a judgment that is not about salvation, eternal life, or to determine my eternal destiny. The Bible is clear; Christians are judged, but not the same way as those who have refused God’s offer of salvation through faith in His Son. Our eternal destiny is determined by faith (see Ephesians 2:8–9). One verse alone says it well:  

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)

However, I will be judged concerning the things I have done because of my faith. At that judgment (called the “bema” seat of Christ) my life of service will be reviewed. Some loss will be experienced because of worthless activities, but I will be rewarded for whatever endures this test . . .

According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire. (1 Corinthians 3:10–15)

Today in Revelation I’m reading about a second judgment, the one called the Great White Throne and am reminded that those who believe in Jesus Christ will not experience it.

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades (the grave) gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:11–15)

This passage makes me shudder. This fate is not God’s choice. The Bible says He is not willing that anyone should perish. This desire is the reason why He sent Jesus to take our punishment for us, to offer us eternal life. The issue is not God’s love but human responses to it. Those who say NO to His offer are choosing where they will spend eternity.

This means only two destinies for human souls; one is to be with the Lord and the other is to be forever separated from God in the lake of fire. This is motivation for believers to proclaim the gospel to the ends of the earth whatever the cost and doing everything possible to inform and challenge people to receive Christ before it is too late.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I cannot write any more. I am glad that You came and You granted me eternal life. I know I’ve wasted some of the precious time of this life, but I also know that I will spend forever with You. Yet this passage explains the motivation we have to reach those who are in that ‘valley of decision’ and save them from perishing. I never feel equipped for that task, but I can pray and support those who are. May I be faithful to do as You ask, not just for the rewards at the Bema judgment but to reduce the numbers that will stand before You at that Great White Throne.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- that God gives me a burden to tell others about Jesus.
- that our lives are in His good hands.
- my sister is not doing well but being well cared for.
- a warm home and comfortable bed (I’m really tired).
- family memories.


No comments: