December 2, 2019

Focus helps in every way . . .


Bible scholars have recognized four basic interpretation methods for Revelation, each radically different from the others and each with strengths and weaknesses. My devotional guide says it is best to utilize the strengths and rely on the guidance of the Holy Spirit. This advice particularly applies to reading devotionally. I want to hear what God says to me rather than figure out the meaning of Revelation for the world. Not that my priority will be useless to others, but that I will not get bogged down in academics and exegesis. Hopefully, this will be the blessing God promises to readers in the very first verses.

The first three chapters are letters from Jesus to seven churches. They can be applied to congregations then and now, and elements of what He says can also be applied to individuals. But before the focus on each church, John writes this, reiterating who Jesus is and His promise to return:

John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail on account of him. Even so. Amen. “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” (Revelation 1:4–8)

Grace and peace summarize my standing before God and my experience. “Grace” is God’s attitude toward me; “peace” is my standing with God and my experience of His incredible peace.

Philippians 4:8 tells me “whatever is true” to think about it. I’m reading “Switch on Your Brain” by Christian author Caroline Leaf, who has a Masters and PhD in Communication Pathology and a BSc Logopaedics, specializing in cognitive and metacognitive neuropsychology. (Read the book; she explains what those words mean.) She gives scientific evidence why thinking “true” and other positive thoughts is the way God intends me to think, but how our thought-life affects everything, including our health. Thoughts of God’s grace and peace are a good place to begin.

So also are thoughts of Jesus Christ. He is faithful, rose from the dead, and sovereign over the earth. He loves me and set me free from the power of sin. I am in His kingdom, no longer in the kingdom of darkness, and have been made a priest to His God and Father. No wonder John says, “To Him be glory and dominion forever and ever.”

Jesus is the beginning, the Word that created all things, and He is the end, the One who is eternal and according to God’s plan for the fullness of time, all things will be united in Him. (Ephesians 1:10)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Dearest Lord Jesus, just as the Bible says and as Caroline Leaf affirms, thinking these truths does wonders for my sense of well-being. When Revelation was written the world was in a big mess. Our present world is in a big mess too. When I watch the news and dwell on the horrors of daily events, my mind and body are stressed. I cannot change the mess. However, I can think about the future and about Your promises. I can think about what You have already done for me personally and what You promise to do in the future. Those things I don’t want to change, even if I could. None of my limitations need to stress me because You will keep Your promises a truth that deepens my sense of Your grace and brings me great peace and joy.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- much more able to focus today.
- good progress on a deadline task.
- grace for the surprises that came without being welcome.
- the love of family and friends.

No comments: