December 31, 2019

Hope for the future . . .


NOTE: I usually change the look of this blog every new year. This is a bit early, but I had time today and who knows what tomorrow will bring! The devotional guide I hope to use is described in the sidebar. 

------------------------------------
 
This is the last day of the year, of a decade. What will the next year, the next decade bring? No one knows. Will it bring the return of Jesus Christ? Even the people of God are not supposed to know the day or the hour, yet we are given descriptions of the trends, the events that signal that Jesus is coming soon. The Word of God was not given to be obscure. It was given to be understood by those taught by the Spirit. And Revelation contains more promises of blessing than any other book of Scripture.

“And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.” (Revelation 22:7)

Revelation, both via its plain statements and its symbols, is designed to reveal facts and events relating to the second coming of Christ. Most Christians, thinking of the messy world events, are wondering if the time is near. I talked with a cult member yesterday and even he thinks that the time is near. Whenever it will happen, Jesus said it would be soon, meaning suddenly or quickly.

“Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” (Revelation 22:12–13)

In these verses, Jesus the Eternal One, promises rewards for what His people have done. This refers to the judgment seat of Christ (bema):

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil. Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others. But what we are is known to God, and I hope it is known also to your conscience. (2 Corinthians 5:10–11)

The next section reiterates what has happened to John and the identity of the One who is revealed. The invitation to come is repeated once more . . .

“I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.” The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! (Revelation 22:16–20)

The final warning essentially tells readers not to mess with the Word of God, deny His promises or subtract from His truths. Their choice means eternal life with the Lord, or no part in the tree of life or the holy city.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, You have revealed Yourself to John and to me through reading this final book of the New Testament. I have been blessed in the process, just as You promised, and I join with John in his final words: “The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.” (Revelation 22:21)

Today’s thankful list . . .
- as always, I’m thankful that Jesus is coming again.
- Jesus keeps His promises.
- Jesus is eternal, wise, full of grace and truth, and loves me.
- being able to have do my chores, a nap, and grab a couple burgers for our lunch.
- contentment in my heart.

No comments: