December 11, 2019

The Lion and the Lamb


Once I had a flock of sheep, but no lambs. The first time I saw a lamb was last summer. They are different from adult sheep, vulnerable even fragile, curious and extremely cuddly. Seeing and holding a real lamb changes my thoughts as I read this part of Revelation. John was taken up to heaven and saw the one on the throne with a scroll that was sealed. No one was worthy to open it until one of the elders said that the Lion of the tribe of Judah “had conquered” and was able to do it. But then the Lion was described as a Lamb . . .

And between the throne and the four living creatures and among the elders I saw a Lamb standing, as though it had been slain, with seven horns and with seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. And he went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who was seated on the throne. And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.” Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!” And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!” And the four living creatures said, “Amen!” and the elders fell down and worshiped. (Revelation 5:6–14)

Perhaps the books and movies made of “The Chronicles of Narnia” make it easier to visualize Jesus as a Lion, a powerful creature and noble in appearance. Picturing Him as a Lamb, a slain Lamb even, does something to my heart. The image draws me to Him with humility and tenderness. I want to know Him deeper. My affection level goes up.

In these verses, Jesus is worthy. He receives prayer and worship from His people, those who are ransomed by His shed blood to belong in His kingdom and be priests in this world. He is exalted and blessed — as a Lamb.

My memories are vivid. The lamb I held and fed was gentle. Its fleece was softer than anything I’d ever touched. When in my arms, it snuggled and pushed itself against me. And God’s Word says of His Lamb that He who was slain is worth to receive power, wealth, wisdom, might, honor, glory and blessing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this You did for us, for sinners, for those who ridiculed and rejected You. You could have roared like a lion and put me in my place, but instead You became as meek as a lamb and took my place. I have no words for how this makes me feel except that I always want to remember that You and You alone are worthy.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- finding myself worshiping Jesus each time my mind was free to do so.
- the cold winters in our area has merit — it kills the bugs.
- for the many who have purchased my quilt pattern showing when Jesus was born.
- another good workout at the gym.
- shopping for stocking stuffers with my hubby.
- the smell of lasagna and garlic toast (tasted great too).

No comments: