June 29, 2019

Tough love? Or twisted love?


Last week I finished a fiction crime mystery in which the antagonist killed his first wife and tried to kill the second when they were pregnant. He didn’t want children. The odd part of the story is that this man was weeping as he did his evil deeds.

The story has him mentally ill, but it made me think of how twisted human thinking can be concerning love. The word is not only used for chocolate and pizza, but people claim great love for their family members as the reason for putting them to death. Sometimes they do it to ‘spare them’ from suffering. Sometimes they do it because they feel unloved in return.

The love of God is not like that. First and most important, His love is not conditional. That is, it does not depend on what we do or do not do. He loves because He is love and the very source of it . . .

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. (1 John 4:7–8)

This love wants the eternal best for His people. If His love is accepted, it becomes real and enjoyed. The problem comes when it is rejected. Then Satan’s biggest lie is readily accepted (“God does not love you”) and the idea of love is in danger of being perverted.

For instance, it is possible to discipline children because of love. Parents want their children to be safe, self-controlled, and able to treat others with respect. If love gets twisted, then parents might discipline because their children are annoying them or only because they had a bad day at work. This is not love.

Paul wrote to the church at Corinth with strong words of discipline. He didn’t want them to think he was being mean but to realize his words were driven by love. Love cares that other Christians live godly lives. Love will, if need be, do whatever is necessary to get those who stray back on track. At the same time, the one who is administering that loving discipline may feel conflicted . . .

But I call God to witness against me—it was to spare you that I refrained from coming again to Corinth. Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, for you stand firm in your faith. For I made up my mind not to make another painful visit to you. For if I cause you pain, who is there to make me glad but the one whom I have pained? And I wrote as I did, so that when I came I might not suffer pain from those who should have made me rejoice, for I felt sure of all of you, that my joy would be the joy of you all. For I wrote to you out of much affliction and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to cause you pain but to let you know the abundant love that I have for you. (2 Corinthians 1:23–2:4)

I can relate to Paul’s anguish. Who wants to speak harshly to those they love? I don’t. However, there are times when another person is harming themselves and others by their actions. Sometimes God puts it on my heart to say something, to speak the truth in love with whatever level of bluntness is required.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this is always a tough assignment. I’m hoping You won’t test me on it today yet a test would not come as a surprise. Help me remember that love is not mushy nor is it cruel. Your love is about godliness. When I act like an unsaved person, it is love that wants a change. Because I can be stubborn, that change might require a swift kick or a smack to wake me up to my foolishness. Yet You do it in love, hugging me as You discipline me. Grant me the grace I need for whatever comes my way today.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Hot baths.
Apricots.
Visit from another granddaughter who came over on her day off work.
Quick mail order service.
PayPal making it easy to get paid.
Flowers, ferns, herbs and berries.
My incredibly thoughtful husband.

No comments: