June 13, 2019

No Pride, No Self-Pity!


We have been driving around two states in the southern US and noticed dozens and dozens of churches. I’ve had two contrasting thoughts. One is that if everyone went to church, there would not be enough of them. The other is that if the Body of Christ was united, we would not have so many different denominations and buildings.

Maybe my second thought is too critical. When Christians met in homes during the first years of Christianity, they no doubt had many meeting places. Most of us today would rather walk or drive to the nearest church building rather than go many miles to a larger one filled with people from many communities that we have never met.

However, unity is important. We are made one in Christ and need to let that govern our relationships. This was not happening in Corinth in those early days. Paul heard about it and gave them this:

I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? (1 Corinthians 1:10–13)

It happens today. “I follow Pastor so-and-so” or “I follow the teaching of the (denomination) church.” Most Christians I know are not in a snit about their pastor being better than anyone else, or their denomination being superior, but if it happens. Paul is clear that those who play that game have forgotten that we are following Jesus Christ. He is the standard and there is a very good reason why we cannot boast about it — we didn’t pick Him; He picked us! Not only that, He didn’t pick us because we had anything over anyone else. He tells it like it is . . .  

For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:26–31)

Some people criticize Christians saying we are not too bright or educated or strong in much of anything. God be praised — He did not select us for those reasons. He uses willing souls, weak or not, to serve Him because our wisdom and goodness comes from Him. Apart from Him, we can do nothing!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I love this passage for that reason. There are days when my pride gets the best of me and I think I am somebody, but these words put me in my place. There are days when the accuser goes after me and I feel like the lowest of the low, but these words lift me up. You are amazing and Your Word is full of what I need to hear, no matter what might be going on in my head. Not only that, You used these words to remind the Corinthians and me that we are all in the same boat — none of us can boast about anything we do because none of what we do matters. Only that which is done by faith and through Your power and grace has any eternal significance. Not only that, when Your people live for You instead of trying to build our own egos, we experience our unity, sometimes in amazing ways. In You we are forever together! Amen.

No comments: