June 16, 2019

No one needs to feel beyond the love of God


I’ve heard that some people think their sin is too great that even God could not possibly forgive them. I’ve no personal experience with anyone who thinks that way, but I do understand their hopelessness — I’ve felt that way myself, not just before I was saved, but after!

One would think that once Jesus made His forgiveness known and real in a Christian’s life, that would be the end of feeling unforgiveable, but it isn’t necessarily so. For one thing, the accuser of God’s people, Satan himself, will try to convince us that we are not forgiven or that we have done things too awful for God to forgive.

Another cause for hopelessness is that Christians sometimes slide into terrible sin. We use the word “backslide” and if it happens, the sense of loss and separation from God can be so great that there seems no way back to the fellowship and freedom once known. The weight of our sin is too heavy.

This happened to David. As king of Israel, he should have been out with his army during battles, but one time he stayed home. He was on his palace rooftop and saw a beautiful woman bathing. He sent for her and slept with her. She became pregnant. He schemed to make this seem like the child of her husband, but that man would not cooperate, so David had him killed and took the woman as his wife. After this, David became deeply convicted of his sin. He said,

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. (Psalm 51:1–12)

Even though David’s words show concern and fearfulness and a deep sense of his guilt, he knew that God was merciful. He, unlike many, refused to walk away from God after what he had done. He was not going to give in to the sense that all was lost and his relationship with God was forever broken.

In the church in Corinth, there were some who had been deeply involved in sin. They may have felt hopeless. They may have thought there was no use in changing their habits. Whatever they were thinking about their sin, they needed to realize that God takes care of it as part of His saving grace. He inspired Paul to write this:

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (1 Corinthians 6:9–11)

No matter what they had done, their sin was taken care of as God forgave them, cleansed them, set them apart for Himself and considered them just and His children. He did this in the name of Jesus and by His powerful Holy Spirit. They were once a mess, but now they were considered by God as His people. This change in their standing before God was remarkable and enables all sinners to live a new life.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’ve always loved this line: “And such were some of you but . . . .” because no matter what anyone has done, Your salvation covers it. Your grace and mercy are deeper than any sin and Your forgiveness covers all of it. What a wonderful God! You care for even those who feel the most hopeless. No one can sin beyond Your ability to forgive and to transform our lives!

No comments: