June 3, 2019

. . . to be like Jesus


In the time of artist and inventor Leonardo da Vinci, an experienced craftsman tutored young artists in his studio. They helped him by painting parts of large commissions. One day, Leonardo was given the task of painting an angel. When his mentor saw the astonishing beauty in that face, he quit painting forever. His student had surpassed all that he could teach him.

This happens in art and other disciplines. However, Jesus told His disciples that they cannot rise above the status of their teachers. He wanted them to realize that if He was mocked and scorned, they would suffer the same indignations.
“A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul (name for the devil), how much more will they malign those of his household.” (Matthew 10:24–25)
This is also a warning that people should not fall for a Gospel that promises a bed of roses and lots of friends to those who accept Christ. Because He was ill-treated, even put to death, Christians cannot expect adoring popularity or even warm receptions. We will experience the same things as Jesus experienced.
Paul knew this was true. When he first went to Corinth, the Jews opposed and revile him. At this, Paul shook out his garments and said to them, “Your blood be on your own heads! I am innocent. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.” (Acts 18:6)

In my limited experience with those who reject the Gospel, I have a tendency to blame myself, and if not that, I am afraid of mistreatment and being unpopular. Paul may have felt some of that fear for the Bible records this visit from Jesus:
And the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.” And he stayed a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them. (Acts 18:9–11)
The Lord put this man’s focus on others rather than his fears. That helped him as he served their needs. When I was young, my mother often said, “You are never truly happy unless you are serving others.” This annoyed me, a self-focused teenager who didn’t think about other people much at all, never mind serving them. Yet after Christ came into my life, I began to realize the truth of mom’s words. Looking out for ‘number one’ is a vain pursuit. God does not pour His love into me for that. He pours it in that I might pour it out to the world around me.
“. . . God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” (Romans 5:5)
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” (John 15:12)
“Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another.” (1 Thessalonians 4:9)
“Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.” (1 John 4:7)
Obviously, God wants my focus on others. This does not mean that I make excuses for their bad behavior, but that I understand their situation. I also know what it is like to do such things. Sin is powerful and cares only for “I want what I want when I want it” no matter who gets stepped on in the process.

Sin is a mighty foe and taskmaster. The only way to overcome it is by the transforming power of Jesus Christ. Paul was so filled with that understanding and power that he risked his life to tell others this good news. Sin has us all in its grip but Jesus can set us free.
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. (John 8:36)
In Romans 6, Paul teaches about freedom in the sense that everyone serves something. We are either slaves to sin (by definition — slaves to selfishness) or slaves of God. I’m certain that this is part of the teaching he presented to the new Christians at Corinth as he shared with them the way God wanted them to live.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, these basics are always needed in my life. The enemy too easily turns my mind to me, myself, my stuff, etc. and away from the needs of those around me. His methods vary but his goal is constant — always trying to divert Your love to my greed rather than relying on You for my needs, especially the need to care for those around me. Help me listen to You and love others as You have loved me. You are always my greatest teacher, guide and source of strength!

No comments: