June 30, 2019

Making a trade with God . . .


Usually the cult duos that come to my door are a trainer and the young person they are mentoring. Only once was that trainee an older woman. She seemed tentative, not yet totally convinced that she was learning the right way. I opened my Bible to 2 Corinthians and asked her if she had experienced the “great exchange.” She was curious and her ‘trainer’ seemed interested also. I read to them most of this passage . . .
For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (2 Corinthians 5:14–21)
Then I explained that the “great exchange” was God taking our sin and putting it on Jesus Christ, and by this reconciling us to Himself as He put the righteousness of Christ on us, making us new creatures with a new purpose in life, forgiven and never ever having our sins counted against us.

At this, the trainee grabbed at my Bible and said, “Let me see that . . .” but the trainer grabbed her arm and pulled her away, down the steps and away from my house. I learned later that anyone who gives that message to their people is considered ‘satanic’ and their house is marked with an X on a map. They are told never to return to any house with that mark.

Why is that? The above Scripture is the good news of God, that message of salvation. Christ sets sinners free from the burden and guilt of sin and changes our lives. Because of Jesus, I am no longer in bondage to sin. I am new, able to see Him and others in a new way, the way God sees, because I am in Christ.

Also, this ‘great exchange’ makes me a citizen of heaven and an ambassador here on earth. My task is to implore others to be reconciled to God, to take part in the gospel, to become His ambassadors too — through faith in His Son.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, so much of the world is ‘living on the wild side’ or living for themselves. Many people hope they are doing right things and are ‘good enough’ to enter heaven when they die. Yet You said that You are the Way, the Truth, the Life and no one comes to the Father by any other way or name (John 14:6, Acts 4:12). Salvation involves total trust in You, not in me or what I can do. My part is willingly trading my sin for Your righteousness. What an awesome plan! Give me many opportunities to tell the people around me about this great exchange!

Today’s thankful list . . .
Salvation, free to me, costly to God.
Grace that is greater than I could ever dream or imagine!
A good community of believers that we can worship with.
Lunch with our friends.
Messages from a dear friend, and from my 101-year-old cousin.
Lovely weather and a drive in the country.
Yesterday, because I enjoy watching horses run, I wanted to see horses racing, and we did today — a surprise and so much fun.
Cowboy boots.
Some days feeling like God’s spoiled brat.
Pizza and a good movie.
A restful day.

No comments: