June 24, 2019

God guides me with PEACE . . .


At the beginning of the year I asked the Lord for a word, a focus for this year. This could be a very human idea, but I’m so easily distracted from goals that a simple focus is helpful. God honored my request. The word He gave me is PEACE, for me a good one. It is a fruit of the Spirit and also reminds me of a favorite verse about focus and how it relates to trusting God in every way and all the time:

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. (Isaiah 26:3)

As I trust God, I’m not stressed about the stuff of life because He is in charge and He knows what He is doing.

That is not all. PEACE is a good word, yet God added to it by giving me a guide to help with decisions. It is based on the letters in PEACE.

P is about priorities. Does the choice before me fit with what is important?

E asks me to check if making this choice will feed my ego, my selfishness. If it does, this is likely not from God.

A tells me to ask godly friends. God will never give me an opportunity that I cannot verify through others in the Body of Christ.

C is about capability. Is this something that He gives me the power to do? Does it fit with my spiritual gifts? Is it going to be the right sized challenge that I will rely on God and bring Him glory?

E asks if doing this thing, whatever it is, will have eternal value. I cannot always know that, but I can ask God to give me a sense of it and a sense of what His will is in the choices He has put before me. I want to glorify God and do things that are part of His plan.

This morning He reinforces this acronym with another simple focus that helps His people make choices:

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:31–11:1)

Eating and drinking are the most basic choices in life. Can I eat to glorify God rather than trying to stick to a diet or going to the other extreme and chomping down whatever and whenever? Drinking might be easier — I’ve medical orders to stay away from alcohol and drink six glasses of water a day. Sounds simple and for me, the first part is, but for some reason, that sixth glass is a toughie. Will doing it for the glory of God make it easier? Probably.

These verses say, “whatever you do” and that PEACE word is again very helpful. I sell a quilt pattern. This week a store owner asked if I would sell it wholesale and if so, she wanted x number of copies. Decision. PEACE helped. So did the peace in my heart when I made the decision. May God be glorified.

The other part of these verses tell me not to offend others. Checking the Greek on this shows that God is saying, “Don’t cause others to stumble” by what I do. While I cannot add an S to PEACE, I could change the C part and ask: “Will my choice be considerate of others?” This is even better than asking if I am capable because, in Christ, I can do all things, meaning whatever He wants. However, out of the same section of the Bible comes this:

“All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up. Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor. (1 Corinthians 10:23–24)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, this is lovely! I like this version of that C letter. It takes the focus off me. Instead of asking if I am capable (because I know I can do all things through You), this question puts my focus on others. I need to ask: ‘Am I considering how this will affect others?’ I prayed this morning for Your guidance for today, and as always, You faithfully gave it. Thank You.

No comments: