June 1, 2019

Let my little light shine?


Christians living in a large city can easily be discouraged by the spiritual state of its population. In our ‘modern’ world, few people are interested in God, or the salvation offered through Jesus Christ. Sin is just a three-letter word and the names of the Lord are used only in blasphemy. That said, a big bad city is not without hope.

During Paul’s second missionary he came to an influential Graeco-Roman city in the Peloponnesus region. He spent 18 months in this place rich in history and wealth, rich in cultural diversity but a center for Roman paganism and a hotbed of immorality. It also hosted the biannual Isthmian games, which drew throngs from across Greece.

Why did Paul select this place called Corinth? Probably because the audience was large and from many other cities. If they heard the gospel they might take it back to their diverse homelands.

These letters deal mainly with the subject of salvation and he often uses the expression “in Christ” to describe the relationship of new believers to their Lord and Savior. This alone encourages me for it reminds me that my salvation is not ‘in me’ or anything I do. In Christ, I am not only saved but secure. He hold me in  His care.

Reaching sinners in this city was not an easy task. Human resistance to his message was compounded by other forms of opposition . . .

For I do not want to see you now just in passing. I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits. But I will stay in Ephesus until Pentecost, for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries. (1 Corinthians 16:7–9)

Yet Corinth was the place God wanted him to go and blessed his ministry with many changed lives . . .

For even when we came into Macedonia, our bodies had no rest, but we were afflicted at every turn—fighting without and fear within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort with which he was comforted by you, as he told us of your longing, your mourning, your zeal for me, so that I rejoiced still more. (2 Corinthians 7:5–7)

I live in a big city, not huge with millions of people but the problems that begin with sin and selfishness are definitely here. Crime, domestic violence, perversion of various kinds, and all sorts of abuses. One agency dealing with abused children says they have 300-400 open cases at any given time and figure that is less than 10% of what exists. All of this is intimidating to say the least, yet Paul went into a city like that, perhaps worse, and bravely told them about Jesus. Some had ears to hear and people were saved from sin even though they lived in what could be called one of the sin-cities in the New Testament.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I know that taking a big-picture look at Corinth will be encouraging. I also know that You had few words of commendation to the church in this city as they struggled to shed their old life and live ‘in Christ’ to glorify You. I’m expecting lots of instruction and encouragement to help me be a stronger Christian in the city where I live. Thank You! Amen.

No comments: