June 27, 2019

Sharing with others what God has given . . .


A few days ago God brought to my attention that whatever I go through; trials, joys, challenges and so on, all things help me identify with others. Today, as I begin reading 2 Corinthians, I’m reminded again, this time more pointedly . . .

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer. Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort. (2 Corinthians 1:3–7)

The Lord makes this practical. Yesterday I talked with someone who struggles with various problems. While I’d not had the same severity, I had enough of those problems to identify and even be a comfort to this person. One of the devil’s lies is making us think we are alone in our struggles. We are not — and this was an important part of that conversation.

This letter, written by Paul to the Christians at Corinth, begins with these verses then goes into the struggles Paul experienced. He begins with . . .

For we do not want you to be unaware, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again. You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many. (2 Corinthians 1:8–11)

Odd as it sounds, this may have been Paul’s way of ministering to these believers — by asking them to minister to him! He had been so utterly burdened that he wanted to die, even thought he would. He realized this extreme affliction was teaching him to rely on God. In it all, he saw God’s faithfulness, but he asked these believers to pray for him, to help him by trusting God for him. He could have presented to them his ‘perfect’ life as their example but instead, he identified with them by sharing his weaknesses and struggles.

I’ve asked God to give me an application for today. This morning, I’ll be meeting with a few other ladies for prayer. Will one of them be in affliction? Will I be able to comfort someone? Or will I need to share some of my afflictions (which seem small compared to Paul’s life). I need to pay attention to the unspoken needs behind their prayer requests.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this is a simple passage, yet You give me a good challenge in it. I can comfort others but being ‘on top of things’ is not always the best way to encourage someone. Sometimes they need to hear that everyone struggles and we all need each other, both to give and receive comfort. We especially need to pray for each other. Keep me alert to what You want from me today.

Today’s thankful list . . .  
A wonderful time of prayer with others.
Being back to the gym for a workout with my trainer who is wise beyond her years.
Hot chocolate.
Short rests.
Able to finally get that pink baby quilt on the longarm.
Nearby grocery store and the money to buy food.
God’s Holy Spirit who blesses me with peace, joy, contentment and faith to trust the Lord.

No comments: