June 15, 2019

Body = Temple


As we drive around the countryside and through a few cities, I notice the extremes in buildings. Some are brand new and many older places are well kept. The other extreme is run-down, needs paint, and a few are almost over-grown with a weed-like vine that looks pretty but is highly invasive. Those houses are being reclaimed by nature.

Human bodies have extremes too. I notice those in great shape, particularly athletes and many young people. However, the opposites are noticeable too, everything from anorexic-thin to extreme obesity. Some hobble and struggle to move easily. Others are limber and active.

The Bible talks about Christians being a building and as I read the following verses, I imagine the extremes . . .

Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple. (1 Corinthians 3:16–17)

This is such an incredible reality that it seems to me no Christian would want to have a temple that was run-down or out of shape. Illness happens, but abuse of our bodies does not make sense. Don’t we care? Another passage indicates caring for our body is normal . . .

In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. (Ephesians 5:28–30)

This indicates we ought to naturally nourish and care for our bodies, particularly because they are the dwelling place of God! Yet as logical as that seems, I also know the difficulties.

In the early church in Corinth, the body issue was sexual immorality. This city was noted for that so when a person living there became a Christian, this was a sin some of them must overcome. Paul wrote to them this reminder:

Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. (1 Corinthians 6:18–20)

Belonging to God is amazing enough, yet being His temple, His dwelling place is an awesome truth. If I really believe it, I should not struggle with taking care of my body. Yet I do at times. I don’t have the same problem as the Corinthians did, but . . .  

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I do like sweets and can easily eat too much of just about everything else. Thankfully, You have used my heart problem as a blessing; it helps me watch what I eat, but it is still a struggle. Also, I am lazy and taking care of this body requires exercise. I like to walk but not much else. You pushed me to make myself accountable to a personal trainer, for which I am also thankful. Being on holidays means eating in restaurants — too much salt. That is also a challenge. Help me remember what this body is and that You are glorified when I take care of it, Your temple.

No comments: