June 23, 2019

God uses everything for His purposes . . .


At times I wonder why the Lord has brought many challenges into my life and with such variety. The list is long and includes owning and training horses, marriage to an alcoholic, raising children, moving more than thirty times, living in poverty, living with plenty, teaching kids, adults, quilters and a class of deaf women, making a living painting animal portraits, finding and losing friends and family members, worked for a difficult boss, been ill and nearly died more than once . . . and much more. Through all these life adventures the Lord has obviously had His plan, taught me lessons, brought me into a greater awareness of my need of Him. This morning He shows me one more reason for these varied and often difficult experiences.

For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings. (1 Corinthians 9:19–23)

Paul was an educated, high-born Jew who knew much about his culture and religion. However, God sent him to a non-educated, non-Jewish world, a culture that was beyond his realm of experience. The Lord did this so this amazing servant could become a servant to others by being able to relate to them. He knew the Jewish people and the Old Testament law, but eventually he could also relate to those who were not Jews and did not consider themselves under their law. He knew weakness. He knew many other things, not for the mere experience of them but so he could relate to those with whom he shared the Gospel.

I’m not a preacher like Paul nor have I been ‘sent’ to a people group like most missionaries that I know. But I am an introvert who tends to think mostly about me, myself and I. To shake me loose from all that, God pushes and pulls me through situations and issues that I’d never choose for myself. As they happen, when I meet others and talk with them, I understand them. I’ve learned to be a better listener with more empathy because I’ve been there, done that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’m a detail person yet You used an online master’s program to help me see the big-picture more often, like this today. I’ve said it before but say it again — thank You for taking me through all that has happened in my life, but also thank You that when I talk to just about anyone we can click on at least one level. I’m not always able to share the Gospel with everyone but this list of experiences enables me to better able to share Your love and Your interest in their lives. How delightful is Your plan!


No comments: