October 4, 2023

Why Study?

 

My folks were told that I would not live past sixteen. As a result, they protected me rather than teaching me how to live. As a young adult, I felt uninformed and unable to deal with many of life’s situations. After becoming a Christian, this ignorance didn’t seem to be a handicap because it drove me to the Bible to find out how and turned out to be a good thing.

However, Bible study has its challenges. One is hinted at in this verse:

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15)

Rightly handling the Word of truth means abandoning personal ideas and I-wants, never twisting Scripture  to mean what I want it to mean. Right study knows that the Holy Spirit will aid in the process, but I cannot rely on whatever I think He is putting into my head without seeking confirmation from God’s Word. That takes a lifetime of reading and remembering.

The Bible is God’s “user manual” for the people He created. After studying it for more than fifty years, I realize that it covers all things and presents them in fresh ways. Doing the math, that means the Lord has presented truth to me in more than 17,000 days and certain is my guide for life.

When MacArthur asks if Bible study is necessary at all, I almost laugh at the absurdity of the question. He goes on to say that some believers think that the Holy Spirit teaches us everything so study is not important. This idea seems to stem from these verses:

Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is the promise that he made to us—eternal life. I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him. (1 John 2:24–27)

This passage is more about protection from false teachers who deny Christ and try to deceive believers than it is an excuse not to study. Some lies and false teaching sound good, yet our inner ‘lie detector’ gives discernment to shield us from false doctrine. Not only that, even if we are tempted by their arguments, He keeps us from drifting away. The Bible even says that those who do drift away were not Christians in the first place:

They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us. (1 John 2:19)

The Holy Spirit does protect us, yet God still tells me to study the Word diligently and to handle it accurately. He also tells me the attitude I should have toward it and that its truths need to have a priority in my mind: “Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.” (Psalm 119:97)

Feeling ‘blank’ about a lot of things motivates me to seek out the way God wants me to think, but that does not eliminate the reality of Satan’s lies, the world’s pull, or the desires of the flesh. Life is a battle against sin. I cannot claim ignorance as an excuse for failure or not knowing what to do. God spells out truth and direction in His Word so I can know both — as well as have the ability to fight sin and obey God.

PRAY: Jesus, I am so thankful for the Bible, and for You and the Holy Spirit. You make clear how I am to think and live as I read what You say. Your Word is precious and vital. You tell me: “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success” (Joshua 1:8) and have proven this to me over and over. Thank You. Give me an even deeper love for Your Word!

PONDER: Consider the opportunities God gives to convey spiritual truth to others. Can I do this better by rightly handling His Word? What skills do I need? How can I improve?

 

 

No comments: