October 14, 2023

Truth for Life

 

The spiritual gift of teaching is about gathering information and passing it along to others. Those with this gift determine to make sure that the information gathered is accurate. This applies to spiritual matters, but also works its way into ordinary life.

For instance, I know a person gifted this way who, when purchasing something ordinary, like a toaster, will spend weeks, even months, looking for the very best toaster to be found, and at the fairest price. This same person is a superior source of information on many things because his nature is to research and discover truth.

Another trait of those gifted as information gatherers is that they are what I call a ‘hard sell’ meaning they are slow to accept a sales pitch without checking it out. For them, sales claims are worthless unless proven.

This is one reason that I love to read and study the Bible. It makes its claims, but instead of relying on the claim, knowing that God is true means I can trust what He says to be true and prove it to my heart by doing what He says and experiencing the results. The greatest example is that faith in Christ results in a life change and along with it, incredible assurance:

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. (1 John 5:13, italics mine)

I know this is correct and true. My life has changed and keeps changing. Also, He makes Himself known to me. As Jesus said, “This is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent.” (John 17:3)

This morning, the devotional writer points to other claims. These will not convince people who do not know Jesus, but are of great assurance to those of us who do, and who battle with the enemy who tries to convince us that God is lying. In biblical order, God says:

But the Lord is the true God; he is the living God and the everlasting King. At his wrath the earth quakes, and the nations cannot endure his indignation. (Jeremiah 10:10)

Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. (Proverbs 30:5)

Whoever receives his testimony sets his seal to this, that God is true. (John 3:33)

When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. (John 16:13)

Sanctify (believers) in the truth; your word is truth. (John 17:17)

Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God’s elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness, in hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began (Titus 1:1–2)

By two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us. (Hebrews 6:18)

And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. (1 John 5:20)

PRAY: Oh Lord Jesus, our world is uncertain now more than ever with wars, rumors of wars, increased earthquakes and all sorts of indications that You could be coming soon. Rather than focus on those huge, God-sized issues, help me live each day for Your glory. Along with the psalmist I pray: “Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes! With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth. In the way of your testimonies, I delight as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.” (Psalm 119:12–16) Please remind me each hour, even each moment, that You are the One who is true even though lies and liars abound. I can trust You and what You say, even the parts that I don’t understand or seem contradictory. Fill me with the Spirit of truth that gives me assurance and hope, and convinces me that all Your words and promises are true. I am certain that whatever You say is totally reliable for this life and the next.

PONDER: Jesus is the Living Word of God, the way and the truth. He is my guide and teacher who knows all things without needing research into any other way to discover what is best for my life!

 

 

No comments: