October 30, 2023

Correction Requires Pruning

 

Our next door neighbor loves pruning bushes. They have two near their front door that she has expertly shaped. We have the same bushes but never pruned them. As they started to get gangly, she offered to do it. In a brief time, they begin to fill in and look wonderful. Cutting back actually promoted growth. This is what Jesus was talking about in these verses:

I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. (John 15:1–2)

He goes on to describe the importance of a branch abiding in the vine, however these words tie to what Paul wrote to Timothy about pruning and correction as getting rid of what is not necessary so spiritual growth increases.

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness. (2 Timothy 3:16)

In context, this terminology declares that the Word of God makes me stronger by getting rid of that which is unproductive by hindering spiritual growth and the production of spiritual fruit. It is about removing imperfections and promoting godliness.

Job knew this. He said, “The righteous holds to his way, and he who has clean hands grows stronger and stronger” (Job 17:9) another way of saying that pruning out the dead and useless things in life make God’s people cleaner and stronger.

The NT reinforces this in several ways:

And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified. (Acts 20:32)

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. (Colossians 2:6–7)

Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming. In these you too once walked when you were living in them. But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. (Colossians 3:5–10)

A few weeks ago, I ‘pruned’ my closet. I put out everything that did not fit, was uncomfortable, or was mostly polyester (which makes me feel tired). Now I can pick anything to wear and know it will feel and look good. Pruning made a dramatic difference.

This also happens with other parts of life. I pruned our pantry. Amazing transformation. Hard-copy photos are getting the same treatment. Also, computer files. Life is more efficient. It’s easy to see that having sinful, selfish junk removed will make a difference, but not just that — what about stuff that isn’t necessarily bad or evil, it just uses valuable time, effort, or money that could all go to better causes.

I read once that time management issues are usually taken care of by eliminating timewasters. This can be things like: the telephone, social media, television, reading when there is work to do, self-pity and worry, being disorganized, lack of discipline, trying to do too much at once, unable to say “NO,” lack of focus, too much stuff/clutter, inefficient, procrastination, unfinished tasks, unnecessary tasks, not asking for help, and unable to prioritize.

The average Christian would likely not call these things sinful, yet the Bible does tell us to “number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12) and to “make the best use of the time, because the days are evil.” (Ephesians 5:16)

PRAY: Jesus, I am convicted by these thoughts. I can waste time and procrastinate, partly because I just don’t feel like doing something, and it is usually something that eventually must be done anyway. Wasting time can also indicate a lack of confidence in You, for You have promised to give me all that I need to do all that You want me to do. I thank You for taking Your pruning shears after me and reminding me to stop wasting the valuable time You have given me. Strengthen me according to Your Word.

PONDER: How does the love of Christ surpass knowledge, that I may be filled with all the fullness of God? Isn’t it because He is able to do far more abundantly than all that I ask or think, according to the power at work within me? Should not everything I do be done to glorify Him? FOCUS! (Ephesians 3:19–21)

 

 

No comments: